Peters Cartridge Co. Catalog #40

Does anyone have a copy of this Peters Cartridge Co. Catalog #40? It dates from about 1920. All I have is the cover and a few Shotshell pages. I am working on a Peters project similar to the U.M.C. listing I did last year. I especially need this catalog. If you have it or any other pre-1960 Peters catalogs, please email me.

Cover for Peters Cartridge Co. Catalog #40

Sample Page Peters Cartridge Co. Catalog #40

Why did they sell different types of empty shotshells for smokeless and black powder? A marketing gimmick?

Falcon,
I think there were 2 different types, one low brass, one high, because of pressure differences between black powder and smokeless, the latter producing higher pressure and requiring high brass to contain it.

Vlad–Actually “High Brass” or “Low Brass” was more of a marketing thing than a safety thing. The real difference between shot shells made for Black Powder or for Smokeless Powder was the internal construction. Shells for Smokeless Power had less capacity for powder. If you filled a Black Powder designed case up with Smokeless Powder you would blow up your gun.

That is a pretty good explanation for it. I’m sure it has happened before now with someone not realising and filling a blackpowder shell with smokeless.

Actually Ron, while you are certainly correct in regards to modern (post WWII) shells, in the early days, especially with the smokeless powders of various types, behaviors, strengths, etc, they really did not KNOW how much strength there was in a hull so the brass head was there for strength. If you look at many early shell heads you will see they were crimped to the wrapped paper (cardboard) cases. This was done to prevent head seperation, which occurred from time to time.

As for the cases volume, black powder was bulkier, requiring more space for a given power of shell than with the smokeless powders. It would have been a short lived (or at best, unhealthy) individual that loaded smokeless powder by bulk vice weight. But there was a period of transition where I’m sure the foolish perhaps did perish.

Here’s a WRA LEADER shell from my collection, loaded with Ballistite, that shows a rather ‘beefy’ construction.