Peters Kings Mills buildings

Someone sent me some pictures they recently took of the old Peters Cartridge Co buildings at Kings Mills; I’ve included one here. That tall square structure to the left is the shot tower.

They also sent the following URL for a site with pictures taken all through the buildings and a good deal of interesting information.

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Peters/peters.html

Neat-thanks for posting.

Guy,

King Mills is about twenty miles north of Cincinnati and I’ve visited it several times. The factory is mostly abandoned and all (most all) of the machinery is gone years ago. To me it is almost eerie to visit there. The local Police keep a close eye on it and don’t allow visitors to enter due to the dangerous conditions, but a neat place to visit. A real piece of history. There is a great book about it, I have a copy but it is loaned out and I don

Who owns it ?

CSAEOD,

I’m not sure. It’s a hugh rambling structure, parts of it has small shops (photography, flowers, small mfg. etc.) in some of them. It may be owned by the Village, but I don’t know for sure.

It’s also one of the national “Love Canel” type disaster areas. I suppose because of the high lead content of the area over the many years the plant was in operation. I beleive they were in production from the mid/late 1800’s until about World War II. A lot of powder and ammo came out of there!

In the “Village” of Kings Mills, there still exist several company houses built for the formen and workers. Nearby there is the Kings Island Amusement Park, run by Hanna-Barbeara Productions.

In my ammo collection I prefer Peters cartridges, since they were made near here.

Jones

Here’s a link for the book Jones mentioned.

shumwaypublisher.com/store/s … 36&catid=4

The headstamp is “PETERS 32-20” copper primer, soft-nose bullet. No where on the box does it give the bullet weight, which is odd. Side of the box says it is adopted to “Winchester Model 1873, Marlin and Colt’s Rifles.” I would have thought the box was post-turn of the 20th Century, perhaps 1910 or so, but there is no mention of the Model 1892 Winchester on the box, only the Model 1873. Maybe it was a time when they were already loading a higher velocity cartridge specifically for the Model 1892.

John Moss was kind enough to send me the above photo and information regarding Peters cartridges, of which I collect. Thanks John!

Jones

From the pictures, it appears the buildings are still structurally sound. You’d think the town would make an effort to cash in on their history and turn at least a part of it into a museum. I’d sure be willing to pay to take a tour.

Guy,

How about we use it for the IAA National Headquarters!!! Lots of space, history, I’m sure the IAA budget could aford it!

Jones

Great idea. Chris can forego the color pages for a couple of issues of the journal and that should give us the cash needed to purchase it.