Peters "P" primers

I went through sorting a lot of pistol ammo and saw a lot of branded primers but very few “P” primers. Was I just unlucky or Peters really did not brand their primers that heavily? Also, in general, when approximately did manufacturers abandoned this primer labelling practice?

I have no “official” word on this, but I have about 100 Peters headstamps and probably only 6-7 have a P primer on them.

1 Like

I can’t really address you question about Peters “P” marked primers, but the practice of marking primers certainly has not been abandoned by manufacturers. While perhaps not used as much as they were at one time, primers with letters and symbols are still produced today. CCI some years ago marked certain types of primers with very small “A” on the cup to denote an improved primer, as a result of reports of misfires by police departments, and continued to mark the primers with a “A” until all stocks of the offending primers had been identified and totally exhausted through on way or another.

CBC of Brazil has had several different primer markings in fairly recent years, perhaps the most common been a “V” but formed with flat, rather the pointed bottom to the character. Several American makers have used primer cups marked with several different letters/letter combinations denoting a non-toxic primer.

John Moss

1 Like

Also, CCI marks its BR-2 and BR-4 primers with a “B”.

Dave

1 Like

Primer stamps were also used to denote whether the cartridge was loaded with black powder or smoke less powder. My example would be United States Cartridge Co stamping BP cartridges with a “US” versus a “$” for smokeless powder. Although, I do not know what the, if any, meaning “P” had on their primers.

1 Like

Some more current primer markings:

http://forum.afte.org/index.php?topic=1087.0

1 Like

Monogramed P on the primer is first seen in their 1904 Catalog which reads:
No. 6 § copper primer for Smokeless Powder Cartridges. The P primers were also No. 6 1/2§ Brass
for Military & Sporting Cartridges. No. 8 1/2§ Brass for High Pressure Smokeless Powders Cartridges.
The Peters Cartridges you show have a No. 6 Copper Primer and a No. 6 1/2 Brass primer, both monogramed P. The No 6 & No. 6 1/2 primers are .175’’ diameter. The No. 8 1/2 primers are .210’'diameter.

1 Like