Peters Post-WWII 9mm Luger Boxes

Prior to WWII, Peters 9mm Luger boxes included a drawing of the cartridge on the label as shown below. The latest date known is early 1942 (first letter of code=C)

The earliest post WWII Peters Luger box lacks the cartridge drawing. Note the two Dupont logos on the back of the box are in red… The earliest known box of this type is dated early 1947 (first letter of code=N).

If anyone has either of these boxes with a date code that begins with a letter from S to Z or A to C, please let me know the complete code and the type of box label. Images would be great!

The Peters box changed again in between late 1957 and late 1958. The only change was on the back label where the text changed and the Dupont Logo was changed from Red to Black, The latest date I have recorded for this box style is the first half of 1961.

If anyone has either of these boxes with codes which begin with L, N or M, please let me know the entire code and the type of box it occurs on.

Finally if someone has this last box label style with letters X, Y or Z and any of the letters from A to G inclusive, please let me know. I am particularly looking for this last style box with the child warning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and will help me nail down the dates when these box styles changed on 9mm Luger cartridges.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

Lew - Can’t help much, but here goes.

Box Style 1 - I don’t have one at all.
Box Style 2 - I have two; only difference slightly smaller type on the box ends. Small type - G030 121. larger type (tiny difference, actually) P1 5G89
Box Style 3 - all black printing on back - S14U

I have none with the KOOTHOC warning.

I have a box that must be earlier. It is now pink. Likely faded, as undertones of kind of a Salmon color light orange. Scans below. Lot Number partially illegible: NLRI 15567 with the entry I am calling “R” really (!!!) open to question.

Cartridge specimens in each if you need characteristics, headstamps.

John Moss

Lew, I have pictures of this box style with code X07E90.

Regards,

Fede

Fede-Thanks. That is later than what I had recorded.

Cheers
Lew

Lew - what IS the highest date you now have recorded, including Fede’s X07E90???

John

John, Curse you for your attention to detail!!! I have never noticed the different letter size on the box ends. Now I have to go through my boxes and images and update my database for this variation.

As usual, you make my information better and more complete—Again, for the umpteenth time—THANKS!

Your pink Peters box is the only one I have documented with this style code. We think Peters introduced a totally different format code in 1921. This means your box is from 1919, apparently when Peters introduced this caliber according to a supplemental page to their catalog, or 1920.

Peters apparently introduced the .30 Luger cartridge in 1917 since it appears in both the 1917 and 1919 catalogs. I have two boxes-shown below- (in my closet autopistol box collection).

One has a code I believe is 1926, The other has a code similar to yours, but it is unreadable.

It is interesting that Peters was using a pre-1921 box style as late as 1912 since by that time they had dropped the pink box style you show above and introduced the “Red P” box style shown below on 9mmP. My 30 Luger box with this style is dated 1929.

If anyone has more boxes with the pre-1921 box date code, please post the label and code.

Again John, Thanks!

Lew

Lew,

Do you want codes from calibers other than 9 mm? I don’t have a very good Peters box collection, but likely have some in other calibers. Also, do you want anything from later Peters 9 mm boxes than the styles you showed?

I have gotten fairly adept now at putting pictures on the Forum, as long as I can scan them (nothing three dimensional - my scanner is the pits, but o.k. for flat stuff and I have given up entirely on photographing things), so box pictures, as desired, are no problem.

That difference in the size of print on the end labels of those Peters boxes is very, very tiny. Only a compulsive idiot like myself would collect them. Oops - no implications intended. :-)

John

John

Here is the picture:

John
I am basically interested in 9mm Luger boxes and date codes,

EXCEPT!!!
I would like to see the pre-1921 codes on any boxes just to get an idea on the format being used, and particularly on 9mm & 30 Luger boxes since they were used for only a few years and we may be able to pin down some of the characters in the code,

Thanks again for the help!
Lew

John,
The highest date I have recorded on the post-War, Red Dupont box is the second half of 1957.

The highest date on the Black Dupont boxes is 1961.

Lew

Lew - will see what I can do. My problem is that I am not good at reading these codes, so I am not sure which are pre-1921 and which are not.
John

John,
In 1921 Peters used a code which was two digit Number-Letter-Letter-(36RP, 35ED, 63RB). Later the code was reversed (RP36, 35ED, RB63). Sometimes there were other others numbers before or after these codes or sometimes both before and after. In about 1935 the adopted the Remington codes which were R20E, T07R, D18P style, also with added numbers and/or letters to provide other information like possibly inspector, shift supervisor, production line, etc. Your Pink Peters box code is completely different.

Cheers,
Lew