Peters Shotgun Shells

Hello all! I was directed here from a couple other firearms related wesites in hopes that some of you may be able to assist me in finding some info. I helped my step-father’s friend purchase his first firearm yesterday - a 4" stainless Ruger GP100. I went with him to go pick it up and agreed to teach him and his wife to shoot it, he wanted to give me something in return but I declined. He ended up giving me some shotgun shells he found while sorting through his father in laws basement. They are quite interesting and I have not been able to find much info on them. The Box reads “Peters VICTOR U.S. Property Smokeless Shotgun Shells” on top and “Peters Rustless VICTOR Special Heavy Loads 00 Buck - 9 Pellets” They are paper shells but in awesome conditon. Looking for some general info about them, value, maybe when they would have been produced.

Thanks in advance!

Here are pics -

I am under impression that whenever shotgun shell boxes say “US Property” it indicates US military usage.

I don’t know as much as I would like to know about the Peter’s shells but here is something.

Look on the box for any reference to DuPont or Remington. In 1934 Remington (owned by DuPont) bought out Peters and made shells under that name long after WWII. If it is so marked, date them from the mid-30’s thru the 50’s I think. I am not certain when they began using the green paper but I believe that was not until Remington ownership.

Nor do I believe the US Property defines government ownership. Those words were part of the original print. US Government markings of commercial products were usually done with stamps.

Nice example though and they would go well in a collection. Could’nt send the kids to college on their value but you could probably eat a nice meal out… at McDonalds. I enjoyed seeing them and wish I’d found them.

What other connotation could “U.S. Property” have than that the ammunition was the property of the U.S. Government? If the entire contract for the rounds was for the Government, I can’t think of any reason that the box-printing itself could not have included that advice, rather than using a rubber stamp on it. It is true that most U.S. Property stamps on commercial-pattern boxes are stamped, but there is always the exception to the rule.

The fact they are double-0 buck tends to reinforce the idea they were Govt. property, considering the presence of the marking on the box. That doesn’t mean they were necessarily for the Army - could have been for the FBI, Treasury Department, U.S. Customs, the Border Patrol, U. S. Coast Guard, or even for Federal Reserve Bank guards - any armed Federal Agency.

I don’t know this is the case - I just can’t see any reason for a “U.S. Property” mark on ammo if it didn’t mean just that. Could have caused a problem for those in possession if it didn’t really mean what it said and was sold commercially, I would think, although these days, no one seems to pay attention to that.

If anyone can think of a logical reason for a “U.S. Property” admonition on a box that wasn’t for the Government, please post it. I can’t think of any.

John you are probably correct, but it just seems I have come across this marking somewhere before and that it does not mean Government property. Perhaps the old adage K.I.S.S. should apply but it seldom does with me. As you say, there are always exceptions and perhaps DuPont, or whom ever, did have a large contract and did add the identifier.

Below you will see a picture of a box of ammo from another manufacturer that WAS made for government use, during the war. Note the major differences in packageing but there is not reference to ownership. When I was in the Navy we received shotgun ammo, buckshot, in 10rd boxes like these, which came in standard ammo cans. They were made by Winchester too. Perhaps Winchester or Olin-Mathison used one packaging type and DuPont another? Interesting question.