Phalanx in Action! -Fake Images

This video of the Phalanx sustem in operation is impressive. My recollection is that it used an APDS 20mm projectile. Any current info on the ammunition likely used in the system today? I don’t recall the old system used tracers.

The Raytheon Phalanx system around for a long time, particularly in the US Navy. I have not kept up with it. The following Video is pretty impressive.

https://neveryetmelted.com/2019/11/17/skeet-shooting-middle-eastern-style/

The narrative below came with the video. I have no idea how accurate it is but I suspect it isn’t very accurate. From what I looked up today I can’t find any evidence that there is a .50 version of the system. It looks like “Iron Dome” is a separate system using missiles, but complementary to Phalanx and Raytheon is teaming with Iron Dome. I could have this screwed up. Perhaps someone has more current info. Still the video is impressive, however!!!.
When I found this video on the internet (I original had a copy by email) I notice the attached comment:

RETIRED NAVY

Nice CGI. (CGI is Computer Generated Imagery!)

10 Dec 2019 um 8:36 am

TOM

I agree. CGI. To many of the things in this video appear to be computer generated, CGI. Flames of explosions on the ground, fake and all look exactly the same. Also, not that impressive when you see how many of the targets are actually making it to shore.

Can’t trust much you find on the internet.

Israeli Phalanx Close-in air defense system (by Raytheon) engaging incoming missiles.

This is part of Israel’s “Iron Dome” defense system. There appear to be at least two high speed guns out of view of the camera, maybe more. At least 50cal. or maybe 20mm for the range they are shooting. The white can in the foreground appears to be for close-in fire, in the event the longer range guns do not do the job. All this is radar/computer controlled, no human action except to turn it on. What we are seeing are real shoot-downs, rockets launched probably from Lebanon aimed at Tel Aviv or other populated targets. This is cutting-edge American technology.

New Development:

The Military Continues with Raytheon Phalanx Weapon System

January 24, 2019

Raytheon Co. Missile Systems, Tucson, Arizona, was awarded a $205,205,445 cost-plus-fixed-fee contract to provide the land-based Phalanx weapon system to the U.S. Army. According to the company, the system is meant to counter rocket, artillery and mortar system and other close-in threats, with a rapid-fire, computer-controlled, radar-guided gun. The Phalanx also can provide early warning of attacks. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of December 27, 2023. U.S. Army Contracting Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, is the contracting activity (W31P4Q-19-D-0015). Bids were solicited via the internet with one received.

In a separate award, from the U.S. Navy, Raytheon will provide design agent engineering and technical support services for the Phalanx Close-In Weapon System (CIWS), SeaRAM, and Land-based Phalanx Weapon System, under a $81,311,942 cost-plus-fixed-fee modification to exercise an option under a previously-awarded contract. For that contract, the Naval Sea Systems Command, Washington, District of Columbia, is the contracting activity.

Video is CGI, it is from an old video game.

2 Likes

Yeah, complete BS, but entertaining none-the-less.

Do You have the name of the video game??? I posted a comment on the website indicating I thought it was bull and the video was probably from a computer game but would like to have the name.

the website is:
https://neveryetmelted.com/2019/11/17/skeet-shooting-middle-eastern-style/#comment-1418263

I’m sorry I posted this before I found the website and looked at it closely!!! Not a credible source, but a nice video anyway.

Just for the record, it appears that Israel has never had a land based Phalanx system. They only have them on warships. The Iron Dome is a missile only and has nothing to do with the Phalanx. The operational Palnax does not appear to use tracers in all the legit video I’ve looked at today and neither does the Army system under development. It is not cutting edge technology since the first prototype system began testing in 1973 and approved for production in 1978. The Dutch, Chinese, Russians, and Spanish have their own similar systems.

Cheers,
Lew

https://www.indiatoday.in/fact-check/story/fact-check-clip-from-video-game-goes-viral-as-israel-s-anti-missile-defence-system-1611636-2019-10-21

Several months ago this was sent to me and I forwarded it to my nephew who works for Raytheon. I thought it was a computer game. He had seen it also because it circulated among the techno geeks working there. It was apparently developed as a concept video by someone in that industry and not recently. He wouldn’t say anymore.

The phalanx CIWS does shoot APSD projectiles that do not self detonate.
The C-RAM shoots HEI-SD and you would be seeing them SD downrange.

This video is CGI all the way…

The slow fire stuff (compared to the vulcan) is neat as you hear the supersonic crack of the bullet overhead before the sound of the gun being fired.

From my forthcoming cannon book:

A family of APDS rounds has been developed for the Phalanx, starting with depleted uranium projectiles which were replaced in the 1980s with tungsten alloy. The plastic sabots within which the projectiles are housed are colour-coded: black (MK149 Mod 0 and 1) and subsequently orange (MK149 Mod 2) for DU loadings, white for the tungsten MK149 Mod 4 and red for the latest MK244 Mod 0. There was also a green version which remained experimental. The MK149 Mod 4 currently used in the standard Phalanx fires a 12 mm diameter tungsten alloy projectile weighing 70 g. The MK244 used in the latest Mod 1B of Phalanx is loaded with a significantly bigger projectile, 14 mm in diameter and weighing 104.5 g. The longer barrels of the M61 fitted to the Mod 1B, together with the use of more energetic propellant, allow the MK244 to maintain a high muzzle velocity despite the heavier projectile.

And:

The M940 is a self-destruct version of the Multipurpose design for use in the Centurion C-RAM system.

1 Like

Jester & Tony,
Thanks for the info. The image of the C-RAM I found on line that showed ammo (but I didn’t look hard) was the white sabot APDS but it was on the internet so it could have just been mislabeled.

Many years ago I was given 2 or 3 of the orange sabot rounds. They are long gone, just as well.

Merry Christmas,
Lew

Can’t wait…

Yesterday I saw the video (poor quality, source: internet) of the rocket attacks on the green zone in Baghdad.
One assumed CIWS systems are in place there but here it is proven now (at least two).
The point here is that this was a life firing mission and dispersion, SD and trajectories are visible.
Actually the presence of tracers was unexpected and as we can see HE rounds were used.
Means the ammo used seems to have been of the late 20x102 PGU series (non-mechanical fuzes) - probably the only choice in this scenario.
Of course the APDS loads the navy is using are no option here as for colatheral damage.

See yourself and compare to the digitally rendered footage above.

As we can’t upload videos directly here sourced from a file server. Needs download first, no streaming.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g1kh4royd54fsgu/2020.01.08_CIWS_fire_green_zone_in_Baghdad_Afghanistan.mp4/file

Ammo datasheet:

More background on the ammo:
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/pgu-28.htm

Not the PGU series, Alex - they are aircraft ammo. As I mentioned above, the land-based C-RAM fires M940 ammo. Here it is:

M940

1 Like

Tony, ok, these I meant but did not find them on the first attempt.

Here’s another pic of the M940:

M940 b

1 Like