Philatelic ammo

I dare say, this may be the only instance of ammo, other than bombs and rockets, shown in a postal stamp. Go on, prove me wrong!!!
P.S. I was going through a bunch of stamp albums I’ve bought at auctions a long time ago. I myself had to leave my collection in Moscow when I left the USSR. For me it is the closest thing to time travel I know, seeing the names of grand duchies and territorial dependencies from distant past, cool stuff.

Vlad - that’s a great stamp. I always wondered if there was ever any commemorative stamps from the USSR depicting their various famous gun designers, like Siminov, Tokarev, Makarov, Kalashnikov and the like. If so, I would love to find one for Makarov. I have an Izhevsk factory commemorative medallion to him that Major Vladimir Makarov, of the Russian Militia, gave me - he is, he thinks, a distant relative of the pistol inventor, but was not close to the family. He did have many friends at Ishevsk factory, and was a huge help to me in my study of things Makarov.

Thanks for sharing that. You should have that single stamp framed nicely in a separate frame! I have a piece of USSR paper currancy from the Great Patriotic War years, that I think depicts a Yak fighter plane, but then, that is not ammo related really.

John, we need some help from our Russian forum users to determine if there are stamps with images of Makarov. As you may see, it is possible.

Remembrance Postage Stamp for the End of the War (1945- Issued 2009)

Revolver Nagana M1895, Pistolet Tokareva M1933

"Oruzhie Pobedi " Arms of Victory?

8.00 Rubles ( Inflation!!!)

Doc AV

Whilst I was at my mother’s, an avid stamp collector, I started looking through the multiple volume Stanley Gibbons stamp catalogue for ammunition related stamps. I gave up after one volume and this is the only one I found there;

If it rains cats and dogs next time I visit I might pick another one off the shelves, but only might.

Happy collecting,

Peter

Great stamps Peter! Now I just wonder how the 1933 relates to Israel, did I miss something? Also it would be interesting to get some info on that depicted item which seems to be a spigot mortar with a sliding fin section.

And most important: where to get these stamps???

I thought about the ‘1933’ bit too, that’s fifteen years before the actual date of independence. Various groups were giving the British Mandate Administration the runaround but, without thinking too much about it, I’d always assumed that weapons used were either left over from the First War or were stolen from British stores. To be making a spigot mortar shows that I was wrong in my assumption.

Surely the business can’t of been incorporated as IMI in the 1930, I imagine something far more clandestine than that, which makes the 50th anniversary slightly dubious.

Oh, well.

Peter

Two minutes in the internet turns up these variations.

Interesting also, in view of the discussion on Greek 7,92x57 and the use of the French language, that ‘Jour d’Emission’ has become ‘Day of Issue’ for the 2013 stamped cover.

Peter

Yes, that is the international postal language so it makes some sense. Thank you for posting these.

IMI forms part of the long list of manufacturers that at some point have published wrong or contradicting biographies. Until 1993 they mentioned its establishment date as 1933, then in 1995 they suddenly changed to 1945 (50th anniversary catalog, again!), and sometime before 2000 they reversed to 1933. This nice stamp shows another contradiction, because the Davidka mortar is reported to have been designed in 1947-48.

The 1933 date is considered unofficial and it is attributed to a small machine shop set up by the Haganah.

I found this one described as a F3 Francotyp “C” multivalue.

The machine was called Freistempler in German, used by practically every institution that had to send a lot of mail, because it was much more practical than normal stamps. What you show was rubber stamped (stempeln) on the envelope, usually in red. The 006 is postage (0.06 Mark) for this mail. The value could be changed individually for each envelope as required. The machine subtracted it from a prepaid sum, as far as I remember.

Sounds pretty much like the whole system was the same as today, for those with postage-meter machines, except for the hand-stamping.