Photo of original flooring at former Denver Ordnance Plant

I was at the Denver Federal Center a couple of days ago and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the building I was in was one of the main ammunition manufacturing facilities for the Denver Ordnance Plant in WWII.

The building was converted to office space long ago, but a couple of locations still show the original wood parquet flooring (used to prevent static buildup and discharge). The original freight elevators are also still in place, but unfortunately I didn’t get any photos of those.

Here’s a shot of some of the original flooring - not the most exciting thing on earth but still an interesting part of ammunition history!

I guess one has to be a pretty dedicated ammo collector to photograph a floor.

THANKS Chip.

Yep - I was definitely in full ammo geek mode! If only the floors could have talked…

Not only did Parquetry prevent Static Build Up, but also Floor Level distortions found when using Long Strip flooring on joists etc. Parquetry can be laid on direct Concrete, and then sanded Level.

Cartridge Machinery, like all machine tools, needs to be Levelled to operate efficiently, and not cause Vibrations ( which a suspended Floor would Vibrate in Harmony with the strokes of the Machinery); of course, heavy Machines, such as the Bliss 100 ton Cup and Draw presses, would be on Concrete Plinths with Hardwood Bolsters, and not connected to the Floor.

Sad that such a wealth of equipment and knowledge was dispersed at the end of WW II (or in the Case of SL and TW, after Korea and Vietnam).

Regards,
Doc AV

twoaz
THERE IS A SMALL MUSEUM ABOUT THE ARSENAL ON THE FEDERAL CENTER BUT I DON’T REMEMBER THE BUILDING NUMBER - I’VE BEEN TOLD IT’S WORTH A VISIT IF YOU ARE ALREADY THERE. THE FEDERAL CENTER ALSO IS ONE OF THE FEW PLACES, OUTSIDE OF THE PATENT OFFICE, THAT HAS A COMPLETE SET OF U.S. PATENTS. AGAIN I DON’T REMEMBER THE BUILDING NUMBER BUT THE GUARD AT THE GATE CAN DIRECT YOU TO WHATEVER YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. THE REMINGTON HEADQUARTERS BUILDING, NUMBER 41 I THINK, IS STILL THERE BUT HOUSES VARIOUS GOVERNMENT OFFICES. REMINGTON RAN THE PLANT FOR THE GOVERNMENT WITH A MILITARY COMMANDER IN CHARGE OF THE FACILITY. IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY, BUILDING NUMBER 11 WAS THE BUILDING WHERE THEY FILLED THE TRACER AND INCENDIARY .30 CALIBER BULLETS. MOST IF NOT ALL OF THE BUILDING WAS CLOSED DUE TO ENVIROMENTAL PROBLEMS ABOUT 10 YEARS PAST. BY THE WAY, BEFORE IT WAS AN ORDNANCE PLANT, IT WAS A CATTLE RANCH. NOW I NEED TO SHUT UP!!!