Photo Of US SOLDIERS IN A 88M Shell Case Factory

I was going threw my collection of reference pics that I collect from miscellaneous internet searches and came across this interesting picture. It shows WW2 US soldiers at a 88MM shell case factory. After viewing CSAEOD’s recent auction DVD I learned that at one time the US actually manufactured its own 88 cases after they recovered a few German 88MM guns. Apparently, the guns were easy to come by but the ammunition was not so the US made its own. Not sure if this was done to study the enemies technology or for the US to actually use the guns and ammo against the Germans?Anyhow, can anyone tell if this is a US factory or a German factory. If you look super close, you will notice that the emblems over the soldiers “Heart Area” were censored out with WW2 photoshop :-) Also, does anyone have a clue why they are holding hammers? They are also wearing beat up and ripped up gloves.

I’d sure like to find that room, you can sell a fired steel 88 case for

Falcon: I think if you got into that room the way I believe those two men did you wouldn’t have found it a bunch of fun. It’s pretty obviously a German factory which they came to be in by fighting their way across Europe. A cheap but hazardous way to collect. JG

[quote=“APFSDS”]I was going threw my collection of reference pics that I collect from miscellaneous internet searches and came across this interesting picture. It shows WW2 US soldiers at a 88MM shell case factory. After viewing CSAEOD’s recent auction DVD I learned that at one time the US actually manufactured its own 88 cases after they recovered a few German 88MM guns. Apparently, the guns were easy to come by but the ammunition was not so the US made its own. Not sure if this was done to study the enemies technology or for the US to actually use the guns and ammo against the Germans?Anyhow, can anyone tell if this is a US factory or a German factory. If you look super close, you will notice that the emblems over the soldiers “Heart Area” were censored out with WW2 photoshop :-) Also, does anyone have a clue why they are holding hammers? They are also wearing beat up and ripped up gloves.

APFSDS

I think that the steel helmets pretty well rules out a factory in the USA.

gravelbelly

I agree, it looks like it is a German factory. I doubt the guys would be wearing a shoulder harnessed weapon and the steel hats if the were in the US.

Jason

[quote=“Falcon”]I’d sure like to find that room, you can sell a fired steel 88 case for

I’m no expert here, but those cases look pretty small to be 88’s. Maybe they are 75mm for the PaK AT gun?

Interesting to look at the stack of cases in the background. They do not appear to have rims yet, or is it just the picture?

On a related note, a while back I read a book about a US tank unit that occupied a town in Germany at the end of WWII. There was a munitions factory there that made 40mm Bofors rounds. They were able to rebuild after repeated bombings and stay operational because the big flaw in the allied bombing campaign was that they never damaged the nearby hydro-electric plant that supplied the factory with electricity! The owners of the factory were very eager and made offers to fill orders for 40mm ammunition for the US and British forces since they no longer had the German military to buy their products.

AKMS

[quote=“EOD”]
You would not sleep anymore if you knew the prices they have been sold for initially in Finland.[/quote]
Go on…what price is it? Are you in Finland?

Falcon, I’m in Germany.

The price I can’t tell or I will get body parts cut off which I’m really happy to have.