Pinned Bullet

While browsing through my collection, I came across a 378 Greener with LJK-CPE headstamp. What was unusual to me was the bullet had a pin protruding out, about the thickness of the cartridge wall. I had never seen this before (not that it means anything!)

Any information?

Thanks,

Jones

Hi Jones
I have seen it on some other pistol rounds. It is made on dummy rounds so when you are loading this rounds, it want be pushed inside the case. You can call it a safety pin. I have never seen anyone with the pin only true the bullet, only true the case and bullet.

After speaking with John Moss regarding “pinned” bullets, I decided to pull the bullet and investigate. Mystery solved. The “pin” is actually a part of the jacket that had sheared while being loaded into the cartridge. Sorry about the false start!

Thanks,

Jones

[quote=“Jones”]After speaking with John Moss regarding “pinned” bullets, I decided to pull the bullet and investigate. Mystery solved. The “pin” is actually a part of the jacket that had sheared while being loaded into the cartridge. Sorry about the false start!

Thanks,

Jones[/quote]

Looking closely at the photograph there are numerous burrs and lesser bits of the jacket which have been scraped up during bullet seating. This looks like a very poor quality, sloppy, loading operation.

gravelbelly

Gravel,

I agree. I don’t really collect wildcat cartridges, but I do inadvertently pick up one once in a while. This is from a 378 GRN “LJK-CPE” loaded by Cartridge Performance Engineering. I don’t know what the “LJK” part stand for.

Poor quality control.

Thanks,

Jones

LJK-CPE = L.J.KOVACH-CARTRIDGE PERFORMANCE ENGiNEERING