Plastic or Polymer cased ammo

Every so often, another company tries to market a line of ammo where the brass case is replaced by a plastic or polymer case.
This year at SHOT ,there was a company called Polycase.
polycaseammunition.com/

At the 2012 SHOT Media day, I fired a few of these as well.
pcpammo.com/

That got me wondering how many times this idea has been tried before.
I am aware of a few that have come and gone.

I have a few of the USAC reloadable .38 Special in my cartridge collection.
oldammo.com/february10.htm

Amtech, later called NATEC also tried to market some rifle rounds. I think I have an original Amtech .223 in my collection, but not the NATEC PCA Spectrum type.
[NATEC PCA .233 REM Identification)
floridaammotraders.com/ho…iles/natec.jpg
armedforcesjournal.com/bl…side3image.jpg

These are not full power so can’t really be compared.
speer-bullets.com/products/c … llets.aspx

Same with the German DAG training rounds.
dansammo.com/images/inv/as30815.jpg

Anyone remember any other plastic cased rifle or pistol ammo?
(yeah, I’m well aware of plastic shotgun shells… )

Thanks!

Palcher and Polytech Spitfire, both in 38Spl, come to mind.

Thanks for the names! I hadnt heard of either one, so I did a quick Google

youtube.com/watch?v=a5I8i3zDepY
Looks like they are dead.
markhound.com/trademark/search/A7SBOpIV6
warriortalk.com/showthread.p … mance-Ammo

I couldn’t find much on Palcher by Google, but a search on this forum pointed me here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6058&hilit=Palcher
And that gave another name, Nova!

7.62 x 51mm Plastic Cartridge Case Study 1960 US Army: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a307469.pdf

Medium caliber:

25mm Plastic Telescoped Cartridge Case Program 1975 USAF: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b006866.pdf

DEVELOPMENT OF 20MM AND 30MM PLASTIC/ALUMINUM CARTRIDGE CASES: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/907828.pdf

Brian

Brian, thanks a lot!

Two that you won’t often see:

L. 7.62mm from 1959-60 F.A. tests referenced above. nhs

R. 221/.17 Cal. IMP, from 1973 AAF contract with Colt. nhs

The inevitable 7.62x39 made in Finland:

Here is my section of pistol cartridges with plastic cases. There are several Amtech, USAC, and Palcher there, and the modern Polycase .380’s can be seen at the top. Aside from these there are also loads of Dardick Trounds that are plastic cased:

Brian - thanks for the links.

Some 5.56. The first 3 are French, the last one is a product of AAI.

Some 7.62 from Frankford Arsenal.

7.62 x 51 unknowns. Obviously missing the case head portion. The one with the FMJ ball is actually charged with powder.

Paul

I have a 20x102 plastic case with a light-alloy base.

Tony these were French experimental blanks along with 20x139 made in the same way.

Here a .50. The head is made of a regular military case whcih was cut down.

Tony these were French experimental blanks along with 20x139 made in the same way.[/quote]

Thanks! I’ve wondered what it was…what was used to close the mouth? It’s the same shape as a normal case.

DEVELOPMENT OF 20mm PLASTIC/ALUMINUM CARTRIDGE CASE: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/919824.pdf
AAI CORPORATION & USAF 1974

Brian

[quote=“bdgreen”]DEVELOPMENT OF 20mm PLASTIC/ALUMINUM CARTRIDGE CASE: dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/919824.pdf
AAI CORPORATION & USAF 1974
Brian[/quote]

Thanks Brian, that’s the one!

Even pin fires, as plastic cased shot shells

Oldest informations originate from c. XIX/XX

I have information about P. Kleszewski from Metz

date is c. 1900
Nowe gilzy. „Zwinger u. Feld” donosi o nowym wynalazku. Są to gilzy zupełnie przejrzyste. Proceder przy nabijaniu jest ten sam, co u gilz kartonowych; przy­kręca się je również tą samą maszynką, co papierowe. Fabrykują je z masy celluloidowej. Można ich używać kilkakrotnie po strzale. Przytem pokrycie i siła strza­łu z owych gilz jest doskonała, jak pisze po­wyższe pismo łowieckie. Masa colluloidowa gazów nie przepuszcza; oddawania również nie odczuwa się. Gil­za jest przezroczysta, tak że każdy widzi, ile prochu i śrótu ona zawiera.

in translation (selective):
New cases. „Zwinger at. Feld" informs about new invention. This cases is completely transparent. Manufacture it from celluloid. One can use their several times after shot. Cover and power shot from this cases is excellent, as writes hunting magazine. Case is transparent, so that every sees, of how much is powder and shots she contains.

other iformation:

from »Polytechnischen Journals« 1885, Band 257 (S. 449–456)
P. Boca in Paris (Oesterreichisch-Ungarisches Patent vom 19. Juni 1884) stellt die Patronenhülsen aus Celluloid her. Der Mantel besteht aus einem zusammengerollten Blatte aus Celluloid, welches mit den Rändern mittels einer Lösung von Celluloid und Kampfer in Alkohol zusammengeklebt wird. Boden und Deckel werden aus ebensolchen Scheiben gepreſst und nach der Füllung der Röhre auf gleiche Weise an denselben befestigt.
http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj257/ar257178

and German Patent no.116870Patronenhulse mit Celluloidmantel und Metallboden” by Antony Barrallon in Paris on 1899 year.

PJB

I had no idea that transparent plastic shotshell casings went back that far. I remember seeing one which I think was from the 1950s, maybe Robjin (Dutch), and of course the later Wandas, but nothing else. But there are probably many more examples I don’t know anything about.

Tony these were French experimental blanks along with 20x139 made in the same way.[/quote]

Thanks! I’ve wondered what it was…what was used to close the mouth? It’s the same shape as a normal case.[/quote]

Tony, it looked like this one (the 20x139 was identical). the projectile is a hollow whitish/milky plastic projectile which is hollow and may have some closure in the base to prevent propellant from getting into the proj. section. I have never seen a single projectile unfortunately.