Plastic Storage Trays

Back in early January, Vlad described some plastic storage trays that he was using and gave a link to the distributor. I contacted them and they were kind enough to send me samples.

The trays are made from .015" thick flexible plastic. In a bakery they use the same type of stuff for a 4-pack of muffins. I like the Double-Double Chocolate Chip warmed in an oven . . . Sorry, I got sidetracked. They are one piece, hinged at one end. Since they are used to transport blood samples I assume they are inert.

There are two sizes. 8" x 9" and 10" x 10". When closed they are approx 3/4" thick. The small one has two rows of 12 rounded trays and the large one has two rows of 14 rounded trays. The individual trays are a little over 1/2" wide, 4" long in the big box and 3 1/2" long in the small box. The width of the trays is the limiting factor. Cartridges such as the belted magnums, 45-70, etc are the biggest that they will accomodate.

Some bad features - the top simply folds down over the bottom and does not lock in any way. If you fumble or even drop a box, the cartridges will spill out. I suppose you could tape or staple the lid shut but then you offset one of the nice features which is having quick access to individual cartridges. Because of the hinge on one end, they do not lie perfectly flat when closed. The back end is a little thicker than the front. Not much, just maybe 1/8" or so. That makes it hard to stack more than 4 or 5 together.

Because of the fixed size of the trays they are not very well adapted to short cartridges such as handgun or small rim-fires. You could put 3 or 4 in a single tray but then they would rattle around against each other. They would be perfect for 30-06 size cartridges, but then, who collects stuff like that?

They are not cheap. A case (150) of small ones runs $110 and the large $198. They have a minimum order of $175 so a case of small ones would actually cost you $175. I don’t know if they would split orders or ship less than the minimum. Blood testing is a big business and they make and ship thousands of these things and I can’t say if they would special order for the likes of us. The guy I talked to said he had several inquiries from cartridge collectors and seemed to be very receptive to the idea of using them for storing cartridges.

I tried to photograph them for you, but you know what, photographing a clear piece of plastic is not easy. It’s like trying to take a picture of the air (except in Phoenix or LA). But, here’s a photo of a small one with 7.62x51 cartridges and a large one with 30-06 and 45-70s.

Anybody with any questions can e-mail me. And no, I’m not a distributor or making any money off of this. Just so you know.

joyray@frontiernet.net

If you cut the trays across the fold would that give double the storage ?
Simon

Simon

The top is flat . It is not compartmented.

Is that what you meant?

Ray

Ray
When stacking, it might help if you place them hinge left, hinge right etc This would keep your stack straight up.

Yeah, I noticed that will work. I also noticed that the large size closes a lot better. They will lie almost flat and they seem to shut a little tighter than the small. And, interestingly, the width of the individual trays seem to be just a tad wider on the small boxes. Not much though.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Simon

The top is flat . It is not compartmented.

Is that what you meant?

Ray[/quote]

Thanks Ray.
Simon

I have been looking around for something along those lines and ran across a company that manufactures round and square tubing with caps. Numerous size options available. One of the advantages is they allow for a visible headstamp. Downside is a minimum order of 500 per size. The samples I received were very well made and the caps fit tight. You can check them out at -tulox.com-.

After playing around with the samples, I think the large boxes will serve a limited pupose for me. But there is no way I could use a full case of 150. Is anybody interested in splitting an order? I will do all the re-packaging and mailing to whoever. I would like to get a minimum of 25 and maybe even 50. Anybody?? Two or three guys would be OK. E-mail if interested.

joyray@frontiernet.net

Ray