Please Help ID Headstamp on 7.92 and 7.5 MAS

Hi,

I need help to ID the country of origin and the manufacturer of the following headstamps.

The first cartridge is a 7.92x57. The second cartridge is a 7.5 MAS. I am assuming both are from the Middle East. A date of manufacture would also be great to know.

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Heavyiron

I believe the left one is Iranian (pre-1968 Tehran) while the right one is Syrian (1955?); The Syrians operated Factory 823 and Factory 837, but I don’t recognize those numbers on your headstamp.

According to Ken Elks in his work “Ammunition with Arabic Markings” the 7.9mm round is a FN contract loading for Iran. The Arabic date at 6:00 reads 1309 (1930). The two Arabic caracters at 9:00 & 3:00 are A & L, the meaning of which are unknown to me. Can’t help with the 7.5 MAS.
Hope this helps. PB

I agree with the ID for the one on the left. The one on the right is a Syrian 7.5 MAS believed to have been made by Egypt (to my knowledge no one has confirmed this). It is dated 1955

The left one is and Iranian 7.92, dated 1306, I believe. “Elks” is not handy to do the year translation.
The second is a Syrian 7.5 MAS dated 1955. Syria spent a number of years in the French “sphere-of-influence” and used that cartridge to a significant extent. Egypt used some French AMX-13 tanks, but I don’t recall hearing of them ever using MGs in 7.5mm.

[quote=“Jon C.”]The left one is and Iranian 7.92, dated 1306, I believe. “Elks” is not handy to do the year translation.
The second is a Syrian 7.5 MAS dated 1955. Syria spent a number of years in the French “sphere-of-influence” and used that cartridge to a significant extent. Egypt used some French AMX-13 tanks, but I don’t recall hearing of them ever using MGs in 7.5mm.[/quote]

I could be mistaken but I believe the date on the 7.9mm is 1309.
See scan. pbutler

pbutler,
I agree that on your high-magnification scan that the h/s is 1309. Heavyiron’s pic, of a different cartridge, is most-likely also a 1309 but much more difficult to be sure.
Thanks for finding a better round.