Please HELP with my collection list

Yesterday my PC cracked down and I lost a lot of data.
I lost my collection list too. I think that I sent the whole list or some parts of it to some forumists

Please, send me what you have of my lists on your PC

Thanks

Any help will be very appreciated

Marco

Marco
It’s been to long since I had a copy of your list, to be of any help in that regard.
Once you get it “rebuilt” however, might I suggest that you save a copy to a “flash drive” (aka “thumb drive” aka “removable memory stick”).

Marco

Check your email.

I’d recommend something like Carbonite. Costs about $50 a year and automatically backs up your documents and photos every day. When my PC crashed a year ago they contacted me because I was off-line for a couple of weeks and asked if I was ready to to re-install all of my data. I said “yes” and they did it without me having to do a thing.

Ray

Thanks guys

I found a copy of my list from 2009. There are a lot of new cartridges missing but at least I won’t need to rewrtie the entire file…!!!

Tailgunner…I have lost your collection list too. I’d like to have a copy since it is very helpful with all those dimensional data

Luckily my hard disk is quite small so I save a lot of stuff on CD rom or on a removable hard disk.
Anyway, since my list is ( was) uploaded almost every day I saved it on my desktop and has been deleted…

Marco
You have a inbound e-mail, with .xls attatchment

Speaking of back-up for you valuable collections. Flash drives are temperature sensitive, Burn a CD or DVD of your collection at least once a year, the CD DVD are showing that they are very sensitive to heat and moisture and can be stable for only 1-3 years, so throw the old one away and keep making new ones. The on line seem to be very nice but there is a history of the on line going out of business and just shutting down with no transfer of stored material. I have lost my collection once and it is not FUN to rebuild.

Pivi–I agree with Vic about the on-line backup places. I have had 3 of them go out of business with no warning. Luckily, I did not have a computer crash before signing up with a new service, but after the third time in 5 years, I gave up on on-line backup. I bought a USB connected External Hard Drive (180 gig) and make a back-up once a week of my entire 40 gig hard drive in my computer. An even better way is to use software that automatically backs up to BOTH the Internal and external hard drives every time you save anything. That way you are never more than your last save operation from current on the external drive. Plus, in case of a fire or other disaster, the external hard drive is quick and easy to grab and carry to safety.

You could also set up a free email account (yahoo, gmail, etc.) and then send yourself an email with the list as an attachment. This method is of course only practical for backing up a small number of high-value files that don’t contain sensitive information.

As others have said, the easiest method is to back everything up to an external hard drive. I recommend that people buy two external drives so that you can always have one backup stored off-site. That way you don’t lose your backup if your house burns down or someone breaks in and steals your stuff while you’re gone.

Pivi - you may have already tried this, but they sell external USB enclosures for hard drives. You can remove the bad hard drive from your computer and put it in one of these units, then attach it to a working computer to see if you can recover any files. It’s a long shot but I’ve had some luck doing this for a couple of people whose drives had crashed.

Pivi,

Chip’s recommendation brings up my idea which saves you some € 50 or more.

Provided it really is the hard disk that causes the problem, you don’t need to buy the external USB enclosures, all you need is a working pc. Be it another or the old one fixed by equipping with a working hard disk with the operating system (Linux, Windows, …) to make it run at all.

Install the crashed drive as a second hard disk, but first encode it as “Slave drive” by using the jumpers which you can’t oversee when you hold the old disk in hand. If the bad drive still has some life in it you will find it as drive D: in your browser and, as Chip suggests, you can try to browse the old drive to recover your valued files.

Buona fortuna!

Hans

PS: se questo costa una birra Moretti fredda - only when it works.

Hans - È buona la birra Moretti? Mi piace molto il vino Italiano, ma preferisco la birra Tedesca, da Bavaria. Pivi - Scusami - non era la mia intenzione d’insultarti o la birra d’Italia.

No worry folks, just “beer talk.” Nothing about cartridges here. Well, there is a connection. After some good wine or beer I can discuss cartridges with our Italian or German-speaking friends much, much more proficiently than when I am sober.

John Moss

John, ma sì, non solo al nord delle Alpi birre buona birra!

Pivi, any good news?

Hi,
I am working for restore my software set up during my spare time. A lot of downloading and working on my Mozilla set up

Found a list from last year,so there won’t be a lot of work…only about 500 rounds for uploading the file…

Yes, when these things happen the best thing to do is sat down with a cold beer…italian,dutch or german/Austrian is not important

Anyway…the Moretti beer is made not far from where I live. Well, I think it is a bit too light,but otherwise perfect to drink eating a pizza or when you are working under the sun… I like the german/Austrian beers too ( I live not far from the Austrian border) but my favourite beer is the dutch “red erik” by Ceres…

John, don’t worry…no “insulti” at all!

In my post I suggested something like Carbonite, which is what I use. No one else seemed to recommend it. Am I going in the wrong direction?? It costs less than $50 a year and the one time my PC crashed it was a godsend. My house could burn down and I’d still have all of my documents and photos preserved. Additional hard drives, discs, and the like have been suggested to me but I can’t see how they are better than an outside source.

I’m trying to learn this PC stuff, so please help me to understand.

Ray

From my perspective (I am a computer network manager and web developer), the on-line services are fine as long as you’re okay with somebody else having control of your data. Having an off-site backup is a huge advantage for the reason you mentioned.

I think an ideal situation would be to use a service like Carbonite and supplement it by backing up your PC to an external hard drive as well. You could use the external hard drive to restore files if your internet connection was down or if the backup service went out of business, and you would have the off-site backup in case of a bigger disaster like a fire or earthquake.

No matter what method you use, it’s a good idea to test your backup on a regular basis by trying to restore some of the files. There’s nothing worse than having your hard drive die and then finding out that your backups weren’t working!

• deleted -

(**** happens)

Ray, we’ve been thinking of using Carbonite as well. Are you happy with the service? Sure don’t want to lose all that data and pictures we’ve stored over the years.

Yes, I’ve been very happy with it. I don’t have to do anything. Any time I add a document or photo they are automatically backed up. When my PC crashed I was checking my email on a PC at the library and Carbonite contacted me because they noticed that it had been several days with no activity on my end. When I got my PC back up and running all of my files were restored overnight. It doesn’t protect emails or favorite lists but I’m not sure that any program does that.

As Chip said, they do have access to your files but I don’t have anything that I worry about. My PC use is mostly email and Internet.

Ray

Ray

Took your “advice” and signed up for a 15 day free trial. It’ll be $54.95/yr thereafter. In the interim, I spoke with a 'puter nerd friend and have just ordered a 1 TERAByte external hard drive(XHD) for my own backup storage space. To use in lieu of the subscription service. The hard drive was only $80. Just plugs into a USB port. He actually guffawed when I told him about the subscription service and then explained why the external hard drive is his preferred backup storage device. I’ll be letting my free trial lapse and am going with the XHD.

Rick

Rick

I came close to going the HD route myself. But, I adhere to the KISS philosophy and what could be simpler than having someone else do it for you? And, if one black box can crash, who’s to say that two of them can’t?

I’ve learned that puter geeks all tend to give advice that is great for other geeks but not so good for po ignorant farm boys like us. My neighbor is one (geek) and he tells me I don’t need no security system (it only slows things down), no wires (make everything work off a wireless router), and no Carbonite. He suggests that I scrub my entire system each year, reinstall the drivers myself, and I’ll have the latest state-of-art PC at no cost. I told him I don’t know anybody named Art so I’ll give Carbonite 50 bucks each year to do it all for me.

Good luck

Ray

Some thoughts on the subject:

I’ve been using a .5 TB XHD for backup for several years now and have had no problems other than recognizing how fast time goes by since my last backup. I guess the automatic backup subscription plan would alleviate that concern, though automatic backups can be scheduled with the XHD too if one is motivated to set it up. Flying with no backup is risky as all can be fine until you try to start up one day and your hard drive messes the bed without warning. (Been there). Depending on the mode of failure, all the stored information isn’t always retrievable. It’s then that you realize how much stuff we accumulate on our computers. The lost photos of family, etc. makes for the worst part. (Or I should say the enraged wife does…)

In any event, the XHD is real easy to use (plug and play via the USB port like Rick said) and less than $100. Sure, it could have the smoke come out of it too, but it actually runs so little, I have a feeling they last a lot longer than the drive you use everyday and fate would have to really have it in for you for both to crap out at the same time. Wiping clean your hard drive and re-installing all your software does help clean out all the junk that starts to slow down your machine, but you need to find all your disks and have a penchant for watching little blue bars grow…

Dave