Please look that 37mm projos somebody know the history

PLEASE LOOK THAT 37MM PROJOS,SOMEBODY KNOW THE HISTORY, IT VERY INTERESTING
[color=#400000]http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7878903&oh=216543[/color]
THANKS

PETA

There was a man at SLICS across from my table who was in the final stages of writing a huge book on 37mm munitions. I can’t recall his name though, anybody?

CSAEOD is the seller of the set in question. He probably knows as much about it as anybody. He has a lot of really cool stuff, some never seen elsewhere.

The man writing the book would be Robert Mellichamp.

To answer the OP, the concept of APDS was developed by Brandt in France in the late 1930s. The work was transferred to Canada with the fall of France where it was further developed before being transferred to the UK, where it was turned into a production item, the 6pr APDS first seeing action in 1944, rapidly followed by the 17pr version.

Germany obviously acquired the technology when they invaded France, but they never used it. They had already decided on the Gerlich squeezebore system for high-velocity anti-tank work. Later on, they ran out of tungsten so couldn’t make much use of this class of gun anyway. They did develop a wide range of discarding sabot artillery HE ammunition but again made little use of it.

What is refered to here is my cased set of experimental BRANDT 37mm DS projectiles. There are 2 sets like this known Mine in 37mm and one at Woodin Lab in a smaller caliber.

Yes the fellow writing the book is Robert Mellichamp. He is without a doubt the world’s authority on 37mm ammunition. The huge book which he just published is Vol 1 of 4 ! There is information in Vol. 1 which a researcher could not find in a lifetime without being fanatical about one caliber. I can hardly put the book down and it is HEAVY !

All books of this nature are labors of love and Bob loves 37mms. If you have 37mms which you can not ID let him know as he is still hard at it.

The French have a reputation in the US and maybe elsewhere of having poor weapons in the WW2 era. This is primarily the result of POLITICS not weapons design. Napoleon turned France into the most heavily armed country in the world and this kicked off arms invention which all modern ammunition and weapons design rest upon. A commercial manufacturer can be making the best weapons in the world but if the politicians don’t buy the same for their army the army suffers.

There are many examples of this over history. One example; the Spanish were shooting at our men with excellent 7mm Mausers while our men were shooting back with the obsolete 30-40 KRAG rifles because of politics in what we call the Spanish American War. I have never read what the Spanish call that. Does anyone know ?

The best weapons in the world do no good if they are still at the factory when needed most.

France has had cutting edge weapon design for hundreds of years. This Brandt set is a good example.

Germany looted Brandt and the cased set which I have came from Hillersleben Proving grounds in Germany by way of Col. Jarrett at Aberdeen.

[quote=“TonyWilliams”]To answer the OP, the concept of APDS was developed by Brandt in France in the late 1930s. The work was transferred to Canada with the fall of France where it was further developed before being transferred to the UK, where it was turned into a production item, the 6pr APDS first seeing action in 1944, rapidly followed by the 17pr version.

Germany obviously acquired the technology when they invaded France, but they never used it. They had already decided on the Gerlich squeezebore system for high-velocity anti-tank work. Later on, they ran out of tungsten so couldn’t make much use of this class of gun anyway. They did develop a wide range of discarding sabot artillery HE ammunition but again made little use of it.[/quote]

This is true in modern time but the use of the sabot in France goes way back hundreds of years. They were throwing gun arrows and balls with sabots near the dawn of cannon invention.

That war is referred to in Spain as the Guerra de Cuba (Cuban War). For spaniards America is the whole north and south america, not just the United States.