Please, more info about this Bofors naval 75mm APHE M50 projectile

Hi all,

I came across this Bofors piece when helping out emptying my late old neighbours home.

The whole thing is coated in the same red colour with this brasscoloured ring around it.
The only marking is “B 63” in the outside middle and a “4” underneath, see attached photos.
Height: about 14.3 Inch and diameter: 2.75 Inch.

It is very heavy and empty up until the top part.
The top part is closed, can not see into it.

Anyone with knowledge about this piece?
In terms of any value or descriptions.

Many thanks,

This should be the naval 75mm APHE M50 projectile.
Nice find! Such items are hard to come by as Swedish material in the larger calibers is quite scarce.

The upper part is just an aluminum windscreen covering the AP core, correct?

Most likely not an AP “core” as such, as the projectile is hollow.

The cap will cover the point of the steel projectile, which usually has a much blunter ogive on capped projectiles.

The point may or may not be hardened.

As Falcon said, APHE projectiles do not have cores. Also this is a navy projectile where a core would be pointless since against ships a APHE proj. is the most effective. Actually navies are often using semi-AP types too since modern ships do not have real armor anymore and smaller vessels do not pose much of a lets say “heavy” target anyways (steel plates are about 1" to max 1.5" thick.

The ballistic cap here is made of steel…

Sorry. Large caliber AP rounds I didn’t mean “core” like small caliber stuff.

Would this be a better description:

It’s a soft material (alumn, steel, etc) windscreen covering a hardened steel projectile, which in this case also has a base fuzed HE compartment.

Well, there are large cal. AP rounds with cores (including APFSDS) but they are for anti tank work - so normally not naval.
While medium caliber projs. with cores are for use against all sort of armor, reinforcements and also for air defense etc.

Thanks, very interesting and I really appreciate your information.
I am not an expert in this subject…

Do you know if there is any explosive content in the top cap?
Since it is closed up there and just possible to see up until the beginning of this top cap.
Was just thinking if it is dangerous to keep it or should it be turned in?

What is the red colour telling us?
Was it produced for a certain country or purpose?

Thanks again,
All the best! /Helen

Your projectile is completely inert (nothing but air under that cap).

This one was made for the Swedish navy and the red paint is indicating an APHE proj in the Swedish military.
Your’s here was just never loaded and as you see the base fuze is missing (was never installed).

Thanks again EOD!
That makes sense.
I am impressed by all your knowledge:)

So it was made for the Swedish navy?

The “63” on it, what does that mean? Year of production: 1963?
If not, do you know when it was produced?

What type of weapon (underneath) this projectile was it made to be installed/mounted on?

Do you have any idea how much this object can be worth in money for an international collector? You mentioned earlier that the thing is rare.

Thanks again :)

Knowledge is relative, after all I have more questions than answers…

Yes, the proj. was made in 1963 and the manufacturer is Bofors A.B. (JSC). And as said as per the color it should have been for the Swedish navy.

As for the gun I can not say in detail as I am missing all the regarding manuals. Here Bofors would be also the manufacturer of the gun as this was/is Swedens largest arms and ammunition manufacturer (large caliber + ordnance).
Over the years they made several 75mm guns which were used in naval applications. Means for use aboard ships and also for coastal installations.
Maybe somebody else can come up with detailed info on the gun(s) this proj was used in.

Prices are always relative but here you may need to ask people in the US as from country to country the prices are varying a lot. Let alone continents (I am located in Germany).

Many thanks EOD,

Your information has been of great help.

Do you happen to know any good US/International websites where is best for trading these objects.
So I can reach out to the right and special collectors/buyers.

Regards, Helen

Here some US members may give much better advise than I ever could.