PMC 9mm Luger

Hello, who made this cases ?

What name is corect for PMC ?
Precision Metallic Cartridge / Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company / Patton and Morgan Corp. / Pan Metal Corp./ Pan Metallic Corporation ?

Regards. Ave

I can add to the variations. My .308 Winchester PMC box, as sold in Germany (CIP Symbol of the Suhl proof house; all text in English) says:

“Precision Made Cartridges” [quotation marks on the box, not added by me]
Poongsan Corporation C.P.O. Box 3537 Seoul 100-635 R.O. Korea

The PMC style on the headstamp “P M C 308 WIN” is as in your center photograph.

The E L D is for El Dorado, as in the El Dorado Starfire line of premium hollow point pistol cartridges from PMC.

Dealing with PMC headstamps on pistol ammo, in the absence of box labels, is tricky and sometimes frustrating. From labeled boxes, and not counting any ELD headstamp, I have PMC 9 mm ammo from South Korea, the Philippines, Republic of South Africa, Mexico, and the United States.

The PMC actually stands for the Poongsan Metal Corporation. The Patton and Morgan Corp. and the Pan Metal Corp. were names contrived to give an American sound to the names and fit the actual Poongsan initials on the headstamps, as far as I have been able to find out.

Generally speaking, if the “M” looks like and upside-down “W” is is likely made in South Korea.

To my knowledge, the P.M.C. 9 MM headstamp is still unidentified as to the actual company or maker. The Filipino-made cartridges were from Armsport, the South African from PMP, the Mexican from Aguila (Industrias Tecnos). I don’t know what factory actually made the brass for the American loaded cartridges, or for those with the ELD headstamps, for El Dorado, late of Las Vegas. Even in the Koren headstamps, there are variations in letter size, etc.

In today’s ammo world, you can’t tell the players without a program, it seems.
A very incestuous business!

To amplify on what John provided above. Hopes this helps.

Cheers,
Lew

Just over 20 years ago, I was visiting USAF bases in Korea and some companies like Samsung and KAL who we had contracts with. When my guide on the industry visits found out I was interested in ammunition, he set up a lunch with a senior official of PMC, a retired Korean Army General at the Officers Club at the US Army base in Seoul. I enjoyed the meeting and was invited to visit the plant, which I never got to do. In 2003, I had an opportunity, thanks to the original meeting, to receive from an excellent rundown on the relationship between PMC in Korea and Eldorado.

From at least 2003, Eldorado has been totally independent from PMC in Korea. Below is a top level summery of the relation between the two and the evolution of the names of the US operation. As with most corporations today the story is complex.

The original parent corporation of Eldorado Cartridge Corporation (ECC) was Patton & Morgan Corporation registered in Delaware in the late 1970s. This was a standalone corporation set up to import small arms ammunition made in South Korea. It was owned by PMC Korea. The registered brand name was “PMC Ammunition” which stood for “Precision Made Ammunition” which was only a slogan. The corporate office was in New York City.

Some years later, the corporation moved to Los Angeles CA and the name changed to Pan Metal Corporation. The business also expanded into other facets of the metals business. Pan Metal became PMX Industries in 1989 and relocated to Cedar Rapids IA.

In 1988 Pan Metal Corp purchased facilities near Boulder City NV for production of ammo to supplement Korean imports. ECC was incorporated in NV to operate the facility. ECC was a whole owned subsidiary of Pan Metal. In 1999 the relationship between Pan Metal (now PMX) and Eldorado was severed and ECC became an independent corporation. Pan Metal was no longer in the ammunition business. ECC and PMC Korea are independent business although Pan Metal was originally owned by Poongsan Metal Corporation, or both were owned by the same principles. That said, President of Pan Metal in 1988 when it incorporated ECC was, according to incorporation documents, a woman named Mi Ryu Ahn. The founder of Poongsan Metal was Chan-U Ryu, her father who died in 1999. The current Chairman and CEO of Poongsan Corporation is Jin Ryu, her brother. Although the US corporations have always been separate business identities from the Korean corporation, both are or have been controlled by the same family.

In late 2006 ECC went out of business and the equipment was procured by Jamison International (who previously bought Bell Extrusion Laboratories Limited).

The name Eldorado Cartridge Company still appears to be owned by PMC since it links to their website. The address is PMC Ammunition, Inc. 10777 Westheimer Road, Suite #1101, Houston, TX 77042 phone: 281-407-5655. They appear to be the current US agent for PMC Korea.

Significant dates for PMC Korea:

1968: Poonsan Metal Corp was founded by Chairman Chan-U Ryu and the Bupyung Brass Mill was completed.

1973: Angang Ammunition Plant Completed

1980: Received Korean Government award for gaining $100M worth of US export orders. Also opened Onsan Brass Mill.

1983: Opened the Dongrae Plant after purchasing it from the Army Arsenal

1988: Public offering of stock

1989: Renamed Poongsan Corporation and established PMX Industries Inc in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Small Arms ammunition was made at both the Angang Plant in Kyungju and the Dongrae Plant in Pusan.

I’ll wade in with an id on the left P.M.C.-headstamped case. They’re made by Fiocchi. The interior has the same parabolic shape as Fiocchi, both standard brass and nickeled primers are Fiocchi, and they weigh in the same range as Fiocchi. Although I have examples and boxes from Philippines, Republic of South Africa (RSA), and Mexico; I have hundreds of the P.M.C.-headstamped cases but no “Made in Italy” PMC boxes.

d’Artagnan, we can always rely on you. Many thanks for your research!!! I suspect the reason you can’t find “Made in Italy” on any PMC boxes is because Fiocchi only supplied the cases. The only box I have with the P.M.C. hst says “Made in the USA” and is loaded with frangible “Longbow” bullets. The bullets strongly imply the cartridges were loaded in the US, probably with NPE Fiocchi cases.

Thanks for the great information.

Cheers,
Lew