PMC lot numbers

Simple question I am sure. How does one read PMC lot numbers? I was told once and have forgotten. Searched for 1/2 hour and I do not like our search system. It has never produced any results I can use to date. I do better by doing a Google search and it usually takes me to the IAA article I am in need of.

Joe

Maybe I stated my question incorrectly.

Precision made Cartridges (PMC), how does one decipher the lot numbers into production dates?

Joe

I once worked in the Quality Control labs of a major frozen foods producer. Everything was tracked to the hour of production with a fairly simple code that the company had used for years, if not decades. If one was to look at the codes of several products, over a few years, the code would be pretty obvious, because corn, lima beans, carrots and peas are all harvested and processed in well known seasons. Even though the code was rather simple, all employees had to sign a nondisclosure contract and were repeatedly warned in training that disclosure of the code would result in termination. In my home town there are probably thousands of people that have been exposed to the code, and like me, they could probably sit down and decipher it if they were presented with proper motivation. Nobody has ever asked me or offered me so much as a cold Budweiser for the code and I seriously doubt that Vladimir Putin, or the Chinese Communists have agents snooping around central Washington state agricultural plants. For all practical purposes, I am inclined to believe that any competitor, customer or government institution that might want to know the code, probably already does. Yet the company still insists that it be kept hush-hush.

I suspect that PMC may have a similar policy since their lot number code does not seem to be published outright. Maybe they have not made the information public simply because no one has asked them for it. I wonder what would happen if an individual with a good reputation were to send them an inquiry on official IAA letterhead. The other alternatives would be finding someone that has worked for PMC and water boarding…oops I mean ask them as a favor, to explain the PMC lot number system. PMC went through a major contraction about ten years ago and there must be some former employee floating around industry circles that is in the know.

The last option would be to collect many lot numbers, with any known information as to when the boxes were purchased and compare that information to old catalogs and advertisements. A pattern might emerge. I probably have a dozen or more old boxes of PMC ammo. I doubt that I can put a month and year of purchase on them, but some of them are from before the turn of the century and some of them are from before the PMC production hiatus about ten years ago. I would be happy to dig them out and post the production codes here if you think that would be of any help.

Curtis F. Laws

Here is a lot number from one of my previous posts:

PMC 45 Colt, 300 Gr. JSP. +P+, Lot number ELD +5HA002

The code starts with ELD, so perhaps there are separate codes for the Eldorado division of PMC. It has been dated to about September 2005 or perhaps earlier. See discussion here: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16943&hilit=45+colt+PMC

Curt

Joe, I wish I could be of any help, but as far as I can see there is no way to determine the exact production date of a commercial PMC cartridge by just looking at the code because it is only composed of the manufacturers initials followed by a product code and then ended with a three-figure lot number. I hope others know better. Regards, Fede.

Curt,

Thanks for the info and yes I agree.

Joe
Things Galore on GB. Got the check today. I thought the name rang a bell.

Fede,

Thanks for looking and the input as usual.

I called my local friend today and he told me it was CCI he explained to me not PMC. He said PMC has no rhyme reason he has been able to figure out.

Joe

I just ran across another PMC box of unknown vintage that seems to present some problems. The box says “Made in Republic of Korea”, and the outside end flap identifies it this way:

6.5 M B, 6.5x55 SWED. MAUSER 139GR. PSP

The production code on the inside of the end flap reads:

LOT NO.:6.5MB-010

It looks to me like PMC doesn’t encode a production date in the lot number. They merely serialize the production lots. If PMC is not willing to divulge company records, then the best we can do is estimate very rough time frames.

[quote=“XPH2USN”]Here is a lot number from one of my previous posts:

PMC 45 Colt, 300 Gr. JSP. +P+, Lot number ELD +5HA002

The code starts with ELD, so perhaps there are separate codes for the Eldorado division of PMC. It has been dated to about September 2005 or perhaps earlier. See discussion here: http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16943&hilit=45+colt+PMC

Curt[/quote]

Curt,
Yes,thanks, I already read that link a day ago.
I do not think there is a pattern to follow at this point.

joe