PMC Ultramag / Tubular

Hi guys,

I made a section of a .44 S&W Spl. PMC Ultramag.
Could someone explain me the intention of PMC behind this construction. The function is clear, but what should the bullet do in a target?
Maybe in a PMC datasheet it is explained, but I have not one.

Best regards

Chris

1 Like

I think it’s to punch a big hole in tires of getaway cars.
It cuts a hole and not just a star that “closes” up after the bullet passes.
Is’nt the Action 3 or something, like it?

To punch a hole in car tires could be an explination.
I don`t know how often the police have to shoot at fleeing cars.

The german Action 1 & 3 had a hole hole throw the bullet. This should separate the plastic insert from the bullet while the bullet is passing the barrel. I think the second reason for the hole is to reduce the maxinum flying range of the bullet if the target is not hit. In german it is a so called “Röhrengeschoss” sorry I don`t know the exact english designation for it.

Attached the sectioned Geco .357 Mg Action 1 und the .38 Spl. Action 3

We should keep in mind that the origin of this design, as JĂĽrgen Knappworst of DAG confirmed to me a long time ago, was in the design of cal. .50 short range ammunition. There, the central channel made sure that the plastic point of the bullet was blown away to expose its large hollow opening which ensured a large arerodynamic drag.

Hi Chris,

This section looks great, thanks for sharing.

According to several articles and ads published in 1987 and 1988, it was a bullet with the following characteristics: “would create a more destructive permanent wound channel”; “works like a cookie cutter, and when it hits flesh, it slices a tubular section completely out of the center of the wound channel”; “50% less recoil”; “faster than any other handgun bullet”; “designed not to penetrate a class 2 body armor” (sic). The latter was the copper variant, since the earlier brass variant was classified as “AP” by the ATF.

However, according to wound ballistis tests carried on by several forensic labs, it performed like a solid non-expanding bullet with a limited penetration. They also state that there is no real evidence of the “cookie cutter” effect on autopsy and that this effect was only observed in gelatin shots.

The .44 S&W Special load was introduced in 1990 but already dropped in 1991, due to poor sales.

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

This is the DAG .50 short range bullet which Jochem mentioned. It also exists as tracer.
It has a maximum range of 3500 meters (30° elevation).

@ Fede
Thank you very much for the detailed informations!!!

These were on sale back in the late 80s (38 Spl) and I bought a bunch for shooting ammo. Cannot testify to their effect on a living target, but they were fun to shoot, something like 66 grain projectiles, as they state, nearly no recoil.

Could you remember how far the plastic bullet pusher was flying in direction to the target?

Best regards

As I recall you could find them just in front of the firing line, 10-20 feet max.

Thanks for your reply!

Chris