POF bunter

I recently acquired a bunter made for the Pakistan Ordnance Factory. The hs is POF 7.62x51 90

Has anyone seen an actual cartridge with this headstamp. All the examples of Pakistan 7.62x51 cartridges I have are headstamped POF year L2A2. However, I don’t have any later than 1981.

Thanks
Dave S

Dave, it is “06” not “90”, and yes, I have them.

Really cool HS, Dave. Just curious, what does, “bunter,” mean?

Jason

Jason - aside from “one who bunts” in baseball (hee! hee!), and any other dictionary definition, it is the part of the ammunition manufacturing machinery that stamps the headstamp on the head of the cartridge. I have anumber of them in my own collection - mostly broken ones (not the stamp itself, but somewhere on the part making it no longer serviceable). They are a nice accessory, especially for those like me whose primary interest is headstamps.

The Pakistani headstamp bunter is quite a find, especially for such a current one coming from a country where one would expect such an item would be very hard to come by. If it were for their 9mm Para ammo, I would be flipping out, as the young set says.

Thank you so much John!

Now I understand and can see how incredibly rare a treasure that bunter would be to a headstanp collector. WOW VERY COOL! If I was into HS’s of any kind, I would think that having the actual assembly line component that actually stamps the HS would be the center piece of my collection. I have never seen a bunter of any-kind. I would think their should be a “BUNTER THREAD” in the making, full of pictures of bunters of all kinds :-) Do they use similar bunters for artillery size ammunition cases too?

Jason
PS: Bunter is my new word of the day!
PSS: Having a mint, modern POF bunter has got to be spectacular and rare find.

I now know that bunter’s such as mine have been in use - what I don’t know at present is if the cartridges are manufactured in Pakistan or by a third party.

EOD
Thanks for the correction - do you have the box the cartridges came from and if so please could you post a picture?

Thanks
Dave S

Dave, sorry I just got the inert samples, unfortunately no box.

Dave

I’d say that bunter is defective. It’s backwards for gosh sakes. You’d think an inspector would have noticed.

Ray

WOW - it makes it even more scarce!!!

Alex, could you please send me a sample case? I live very near to Dave and I would love to make him cry.
I will take pictures!

Ray, I think the picture on screen is just an optical contusion. Have seen modern headstamp pictures where they appear to be raised to my old eyes.

Gourd

I’m ignoring Jon for the moment !!! (he should rememeber it is a very very long walk home from the next gunshow - that’s if it’s my turn to drive - unfortunately it’s not!!)

EOD Please could you post a picture of the headstamp.

Thanks
Dave

Ray
There, I fixed it for you!!!

Dave
I apologize for messing with your very nice picture

No problem - I was about to do the same. I hope to have more on the origins of the bunter shortly.

Dave

[quote=“Jon C.”]Alex, could you please send me a sample case? I live very near to Dave and I would love to make him cry.
I will take pictures![/quote]

Hehe, sorry Jon, I can’t support mental cruelty to ammo fellows. :)

[quote=“Dave S”]I’m ignoring Jon for the moment !!! (he should rememeber it is a very very long walk home from the next gunshow - that’s if it’s my turn to drive - unfortunately it’s not!!)

EOD Please could you post a picture of the headstamp.

Thanks
Dave[/quote]

Dave I will digg it out and post an image soon.

Here we go, unfortunately it got almost polished to death since it is an exhibition sample.

More information on the bunter! It was made in the US. It came from a bin of assorted items related to ammunition manufacturing. The story is that the manufacturer disposed of the items when they couldn’t be exported to Pakistan because of an arms embargo. Based on the discussions I’ve had over the past few days, I believe the year is 90 not 06 (unless the bunters were made multiple years in advance which is always possible) since the bin had been in the possession of the individual for a number years. I’m waiting for confirmation of the manufacturer and will post this information when/if I get it.

Dave

I cannot comment on the correct date for this bunter but I will say that the norm for the Pakistani Ordnance Factory (POF) is to have the initials POF followed by the date at the top, and the caliber designation at the bottom, all oriented to be read without rotating the cartridge (not always what we think of as a caliber - .303 for example has a “7” to indicate the Mark 7 loading. It doesn’t say “.303”).

If that rule was followed, your bunter would be from 2006, but I can’t say if the rule was followed, not knowing much about NATO ammo. I have not seen, for example, other specimens of POF 7.62 x 51 where the date cannot be misread. I simply don’t pay attention to 308s.

When I was collecting .303 I had several Pakistani rounds in the collection, and I currently have five different Pakistani 9mm headstamps, and all follow the pattern I described above as “the norm.”

Will be interesting to see if the date is actually 1990.

John
Thanks for your insight, I think your observations may well apply to 7.62 NATO. While I don’t have any other examples of Pakistani NATO cartridges with 7.62 x51 in the headstamp, specimens using the L2A2 designation have headstamps that fit your description eg POF 81 L2A2.

EOD - looks as though you were right with the year

Thanks to you both
Dave