Police range finds

My gun club allowed a local city police department to improve a section of the shooting range and use it for training. So I wandered into that section and picked up some fragments. I think I know what they are but maybe someone has extra info. And going through a discarded brass bucket yields semi-interesting results too, see 2nd photo.

The second photo is just of a standard .38 Special with a swaged lead bullet. The textured effect is rolled into the lead to retain lubricant, probably a liquid dipped one. The tear in the case is a loading machine malfunction.

non-lethal shot gun slugs? no idea by whom.

Looks like a wooden 37mm baton projectile under one of the rubber slugs?

Matt,
This wooden disc is one item about which I am hesitant, so you are saying it is an actual projectile?

Vlad, if it has 37mm in diameter it is likey a baton projectile.

Vlad,

These wood baton rounds can be found is a few varieties:

Paul

The black hourglass shaped items are similar to some synthetic 12ga less-lethal projos used to deliver both impact and agent payloads (CS, OC, marking dye etc). Without the complete cartridge, tough to say who/what/when.

The yellow and white items appear to be standard 12ga projectile components…disc/pusher/wad/etc; the one in the center looks like the pusher/wad from the 12ga Federal Tactical slugs we have used.

Wow, those sectioned 37MM rounds are amazing, like all of your work, Paul. I have never seen anything like that before, super interesting. Just curious, what happens when a person gets hit by those? Are they LTL? I’m thinking they could kill ya.

Anyhow, very cool finds. I am going to have to check out the police half of a local gun range I visit now :-)

Jason

The wooden baton in the top picture is 35mm.

Jason, look at the size of the propelling charge. These batons are relatively slow. At best one will get nocked out teeth.
Also some users are restricted to use these only in ricochet fire, means they shoot the ground in front of the rioters and let the batons bounce into the crowd.

Thanks so much for explaining these to me. :-)

With regards to the ‘knee-knockers’ (37mm wood baton rounds): several manufacturers have made these in varying ‘strengths’ with corresponding safe engagement ranges, velocities and charges. In 12ga/37/40, many less-lethal rounds have safe engagement ranges beginning at 7 or even 20yds. 37mm wood batons have been responsible for fatal injuries, as have 12ga LL and the FN PepperBall (a mjaority of cases I’ve seen from improper usage). I know of one agency that used a certain 12ga LL round 32 times in 1 year with zero permanent suspect injuries.

Newer versions, esp. the BAE/Safariland/DefTec 40mm rounds, are using gunpowder blank-push charges rather than the blackpowder charges seen in a lot of old less-lethal 37mm cartridges.

I have an XM1006/eXact Impact 40mm cartridge that I need to get to Paul or another IAA cogniscenti for sectioning; that item has a very well-thought out propellant/push setup that corresponds with their practice rounds, and internally has some similiarities to the ATF FoF 9mm pistol marking rounds.