Polte i.d. numbers

is there a way of finding the identity of cases by the number on Polte cases? For instance i have a case aquired as a WW1 Russian naval cartridge…the dimensions are 156(inside neck)x211(length)x167(base across rim)…however the headstamp shows that it was made in Germany…
15 POLTE JULI 1916 MAGDEBURG Sp252
i have various Polte cases and the numbers are all different…i assume that there must be a list somewhere that would tell me the description of the round and perhaps the guns for which they were intended…does anyone know how i could aquire that list…and also the identity of the above example??? thanks very much

Charley, why do you think it is Russian?

Charley–The numbers identify the gun or cannon the shell case is for, not the load type.

Charley–I think your case has been cut down from the original factory length. This is fairly common as most of these cases in this size or larger are seperate loaded with the case just a powder holder and to seal the breech. They were often used over and over and on each firing it was not unusual for the casemouth to split. The case was cut off and used until often only 6 inches or so was left.

Also, are you sure about the 167mm base? Most of the German rounds in this size range have a 169-170mm base.

Another charactersitic of Kaiser-period German naval shell cases is the use of Roman numerals rather than alphebetical letters to indicate the month of manufacture. For example, if your 1916 case were naval, it would show the July 1916 headstamp date as “VII 1916” instead of "Juli 1916. So, your case is an Army case, not Navy.

Charley,
Your German made case has a russian type primer am I right?
I had the same case years ago. It had a yellow paint line across the base.
This marking was used on captured ammunition. So it should be for a 152mm Russian gun.

I bought it as Russian but when i saw the headstamps i had doubts…hence my queries…thanks to those who have answered…when i get home i’ll check the primer and precise base diameter…

YES THE BASE IS 167MM…THE PRIMER IS 30.3MM DIAMETER…SO I GUESS IT IS NOT FOR A GERMAN GUN…CAN ANYONE SAY WHAT (RUSSIAN?) GUN IT WAS FOR?