Pope .22

Pope .22 bullet disregard the case as the bullet has not ever been loaded into a case

Pope-.22

Is this a stuffer?

Don’t know what a stuffer is

A stuffer is when a projectile is inserted into an unrelated cartridge. You said this bullet was never loaded into this cartridge.

OK yes it is a stuffer then, I dont know of any Pope live rounds.

1 Like

I am not well versed in .22 ammo. What is Pope bullet?

Pope was a renowned barrel/rifle maker and shooter in the 1800s do a search on Pope rifles.
The link is to some photos I posted on another sight. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149195

1 Like

The other site wants me to log in to see your photos

The bullet he shows in the case looks like a Pope designed bullet, although you can’t see all of it.

Somewhere here is a box of his .22 bullets.

Back then some target shooters had a fitting to the muzzle of the rifle that would allow them to load a bullet from the muzzle without screwing it up (the bullet or the muzzle), They then would seat the bullet to the proper depth and from the breech end insert a charged case. This separation of case and bullet was something they felt affected accuracy.

I don’t know if this was something Pope did with the .22 or not, nor do I know if it was a regular practice with him.

1 Like

The fitting is called a false muzzle and was a common thing with him and other gun makers. But he also made a few RF .22 rifles that were breached loaded. The case’s he purchased and were primed and he made the mold for the bullet’s. There are only three known molds that now exist, one is a double mold that cast a .22 short and a LR that is still with the original rifle The second one got separated from the rifle and is with the owner of Popes machinery. The third is owned by a friend that owns the original rifle, mold all the tools and some primed case’s.

It is known that the rifle was built for a Mr Louis Hanson and at a later date rebarreled by Pope as Mr Hanson in later years found the rifle heavy

1 Like

If anyone is interested in the Pope story there is a 2 volume book called H.M. Pope Hartford 1887-1901 by Warren Greatbatch

1 Like

A few Pope rifles

5 Likes

Is this a museum?

No its part of my friends collection

1 Like

Harry Pope made and sold bullet moulds in most of the smaller bore sizes of his day (1885-1930). Some were intended for his (or others) muzzle-loading but breech-loading rifles built on the better single shot actions (Winchester High-Wall, Ballard, Stevens 44 and 44 1/2). Some were designed for breech-seating, where the carefully lubricated bullet is mechanically placed into the barrel just ahead of the chamber. A “blank” cartridge, primed, loaded with a precisely measured powder charge, and stoppered with a card or felt wad to prevent powder spilling, was loaded behind the bullet. He made moulds for his other designs, including a 172-grain bullet for the .30-06. I have seen Pope moulds for .32-40 and his .33-47 cartridge. In my collection are two double-cavity moulds providing a selection of 4 bullet types for the .28-30 Stevens cartridge. He made moulds for .25 and .22 caliber bullets, including designs for .22 Long Rifle and 22 Short. At that time, .22 rimfires had a short shelf and accuracy life. It was common for a serious shooter to buy a box of 1,000 primed empty .22 rimfire cases, charge them with powder a short time before use, and to seat either a factory bullet or a home-cast bullet. Pope made and sold a mould for the chap who wanted to do that. I don’t see anything strange about the photo. One .22 LR case looks much like another. A purist might use a case with a US Cartridge Co. headstamp.

Your friend and I have similar tastes and interests. He has more money. A Zischang-Borchardt (top) and a Hubalek-Ballard (3rd down)? I’m impressed. (2nd photo)

What is the difference between a Pope rifle, and rifle re-barreled with a Pope barrel?
Thanks,

Pope only made rifle and pistol barrels and various accessories. If you were a shooter, you bought the barrel and then took it to a good gunsmith to have the barrel fitted. You could say that you had a Pope rifle, but what you meant was that you had a rifle with a Pope barrel on it.

I have a Winchester52B, made about 1952-54. It is fitted with a Pope barrel in .22 Short rimfire. The rifle has a fiberglass stock.

Pope stamped the manufacturing date 10 May 1912 (my mother’s birthday) on the bottom of the barrel, along with his serial number, the twist of the rifling, and some codes I do not understand. I have been told that those codes relate to settings on his rifling machine.

How’s it shoot?

Thank You waterman.
(I have yet to figure out how to reply to 1 person, like you did to cdiver!)