Possible WWI Swagger Stick

I’ve just bought a swagger stick which I think is of WWI vintage. 18 inches long with the front and back halves of what I believe is a rifle cartridge mounted on the ends of a hard wood shaft. The round appears to have a steel projectile.

Any help with identifying it would be greatly appreciated. “08” has me thinking pre-war stocks but as to whose…

I’m also curious if the multiple strikes on the cap are just from whoever turned the round into a memento or whether the weapon may have had some odd face on the firing pin.

Good morning JJA, welcome to this Forum

Swagger sticks are not my cup of tea but I can tell you something about the case on it which was made at Frankford Arsenal, July 1908. Yes, vintage American. WWI? Who knows?

Hi,

Many, many thanks for both the prompt assistance and information itself. I noted the Frankford Arsenal in Penn when I first checked the IAA website but not having used your online reference before I wasn’t sure.

WWI? I imagine pre-war stocks were used through the war years but you’re quite right to wonder. Since it turned up in Victoria, BC Canada I’ll now have to look into whether US ammuntion was sold/given to Canadian in the years before the US became involved in the conflict.

May I ask if you could tell me the caliber? As a newly joined, I was, understandably, only allowed the one photo.

I’m curious about the nature of the projectile, whether the color means anything beyond ball. Perhaps the 7 on the head stamp indicates type?

Sorry to ask but a bit new to this. I’ve had a look online to see if there’s an FA reference work that would identify caliber and load but haven’t had much luck. if you could recommend an appropriate link, I’d be most grateful.

Again, my thanks for your help with this. I’m retired military with the usual box of shell casings from here and there. I look forward to learning a bit more about some of the the mystery doppies picked up from here and there.

Thanks again for the help.

All the best,

Jeff Apolinario

In a message dated 7/21/2019 2:48:46 AM Pacific Standard Time, cartridgecollectors@discoursemail.com writes:

Jeff - the “7” on the headstamp indicates the Month, in this case July. The cartridge is a cut .30 Caliber Government, Model of 1906, more commonly called .30-'06. The primer has been removed and replaced with what appears to be a soft copper pellet that was swaged into place - hence the staking marks. The bullet is most likely a ~150 grain, flat-base, full metal jacket. This was the common M1906 “Ball” cartridge of the day.

I have a nearly identical 26.5" swagger stick with a FA 3 09 headstamp with fired primer still in-place which I inherited from my paternal Grandfather. He died before I was 5, so I never got a chance to ask him where it came from.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the additional information. The Canadians used a 30-06 Enfield during WWI (mostly the RCAF and Service Corps apparently) so perhaps that’s the way it found itself up here. Photos show big red bands painted on the rifles to make folks aware they weren’t .303.

All the best,

Jeff

In a message dated 7/22/2019 6:18:08 PM Pacific Standard Time, cartridgecollectors@discoursemail.com writes:

Canada used the US M1917 rifle in WW2 , RCN ,RCAF Etc in Canada.