Posting collection info

I record my collection of military small arms cartridges as a Microsoft Works Word Processor document and using this I can easily update cartridge details as and when I get a new round. I have about 3000 specimens and record their correct military designation, load type, manufacturer, descriptive details, headstamp & markings, and any other relevant info. This document is the result of 30 years of collecting, currently runs to about 54 pages, and is 1.2 MB in size.
In the spirit of this ‘new’ forum I’d like to make the information contained within my collection document readily available to any other collectors out there who might be interested to see it. All of us are sitting on a lot of information that surely we should be exchanging with each other or am I the only one to be thinking this? I am not terribly clever with computers though and my point is to ask advice on how to make this document available for others to access. Do I need to set up my own website or is there another way? Something similar perhaps to PhotoBucket but for documents?
Jim

Over the short-term you can simply offer it here as you did and e-mail it as an attachment.
Over the long-haul I guess you would need a website or some other form of web-hosting.
Sorry if that’s obvious to all, but I really ain’t no compooter genius.

I use this when I need share some files:
mytempdir.com/

Thanks Hammer,
perhaps someone could let me know if this works!!
mytempdir.com/1185349
Jim

Works ok, l just read you list.

Back in the 20th Century I had lists of cartridges that I typed out with a typewriter (remember those) and then made xerox copies to send to anyone interested. Those lists are now badly out-of-date and I’m not about to re do them. So, here’s my thought. Have them scanned and put on a DVD disc that I can then use on my PC. The question I have is - can I then make changes, corrections, etc to the data?? Do I have to tell the scanner person to do anything special. I am completely PC challenged. Anybody??

Ray

Ray–You might be “Computer Challenged” but you can hang out with us anyway. We don’t mind.

To answer your question, no you can’t edit a DVD (or CD). Once it is burned to one of these it can only be changed by burning a new copy. If it is on a re-writabe disc, you can erase the current file after copying it to your harddrive and then burn a new copy, assuming you hve a read/write drive.

If you want to edit it and not make a new disc disc, just copy the disc to a file on your harddrive and keep it there. Then you can edit it all you want.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Back in the 20th Century I had lists of cartridges that I typed out with a typewriter (remember those) and then made xerox copies to send to anyone interested. Those lists are now badly out-of-date and I’m not about to re do them. So, here’s my thought. Have them scanned and put on a DVD disc that I can then use on my PC. The question I have is - can I then make changes, corrections, etc to the data?? Do I have to tell the scanner person to do anything special. I am completely PC challenged. Anybody??

Ray[/quote]

Another way is to use FLASH drivers (1 or more Ggb). It will be enough to store such docs, compact and mobile solution. And FLASH is safer method to store information than any CD/DVD (all writable compacts quite fragile and could loose data after time).

Ron & Yuri

Thanks for that. It’s about as clear as the mud on my porch from all that Arizona snow. ONLY KIDDING. About it being clear that is, not the mud which is real. Would you believe it snowed in Phoenix?

Anyway, I will go that route and if I get stuck I know I can always turn to the IAA Forum for help.

Ray

Jim–GREAT list. With your added comments it is a good reference for some mighty hard to get cartridges. Thank you for sharing it.

Hi Jim,

I can’t open a .wps file on my machine. Is it possible to sent it as an .xls file

(P.S I tryed a confert program "work"to “Excel” but didn’t work either)

Richard

Jim,

I was also able to download your list.

Wow what a collection… you even got a .270 very impressive.

do you have fotographs of this round? would like to put one on my own website if that is ok with you…

Thanks for all the information.

Joost Roelofs

[quote=“r308”]Hi Jim,

I can’t open a .wps file on my machine. Is it possible to sent it as an .xls file

(P.S I tryed a confert program "work"to “Excel” but didn’t work either)

Richard[/quote]

Try this .pdf version:
mytempdir.com/1185899

Jim

GREAT job on your list! Makes my efforts seem puny by comparison. Thanks for sharing it.

Ray

Hammer:
Pdf. file works !! Thanks for the link.

Jim:
Great list !!! Thanks for sharing this info with us.

Richard