Považské Strojárne T3 non rusting/corrosive primers

I have tried to find out when PS primers marked “T3” were used for the first time or when its name was registered as a trademark, with no luck so far; however, I have found a possible explanation for the meaning of “T3”. As non rusting/corrosive primers I assume that these are filled with lead styphnate or lead trinitroresorcinate, which in Czech language would be Trinitroresorcinát, thus “T3” or “3T” for short. Any thoughts about this?

Fede - The only information I can give you is that I have a Kovo - PS catalog that I believer dates from June 1949 (although even that is a guess from what appears to be a publishing code), and it lists the T3 primer.

I could find nothing about the meaning of “T3” other than it represents PS’s non-corrosive commercial primer. The primer was made in three sizes - 4.5 mm, 5.5 mm and 6.5 mm. The only place I could see where the priming compound content might have named the primer is that they contained 3%+0.3% of tetrazén (Slovak form of the name of the chemical). The rest of the contents were as follows:

40%+4.0% - trinitrorezorcinát olovnatý
42%+4.2% - dusicnan barnatý
5%+0.5% - Kyslicaik olovicitý
10%+1.0% - silicid vápaika

The slovak word for primer seems to be “Zápalka” by the way. I read not one word of Slovak. Some of the punctuation is missing from the above chemical terms. I used what I could be I don’t know how to access a complete list of foreign letters to use on the Forum.

This information is from the book "Zabudnutá municka Na Povazí,by Karol Smatana. The book is all in the Slovak language. Pages 134 and 135 for the “T3” primer information.

There is a 1954 date in the last sentence of the last paragraph on page 135, but unfortunately, I cannot read the text to tell what it refers to.

John, thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate your knowledge and thoughts, as usual.

At first I also thought about tetrazene (tetrazen) as a possible explanation, but the “virtue” of the T3 primer is being a non rusting/erosive primer, and tretrazene is used as a sensitizer for lead trinitroresorcinate. For this reason it didn’t sound very convincing to me naming a primer because of a sensitivity compound.

The 1954 date mentioned by Smatana would be when production of PS sporting cartridges was over.

Saludos,

Fede

Fede,

from what I know your assumption in the first post is right. Basis of the Sinoxid primer mix is trinitroresorcinate (as proposed by Austrian Edmund von Herz). The short German word for it is “Trizinat”. So the selection of T3 seems perfectly plausible.

Tetracene was added to achieve the required sensitivity and made it work in primers. But the base of the mix is Trizinat.
(Source: 100 Jahre Werk Stadeln)

In East Germany the Sinoxid-copy was called: ZSi/3

Jochem, thanks a lot for your thoughts on this. So a probable explanation then would be trinitrorezorcinát or tricinát (in Slovak language).