Powder Bag

Found this at a Gun Show in Saratoga Springs today. They are purported to be powder-bags. They were in a crate with many more that had an old tattered label with Bannerman’s name and the NYC address. If it is a powder bag, what was it for and what time period. I took a clip of the loose thread and it is not readily combustible. Was this just for transport of powder or a bag to be loaded into an artillery piece?
Or was this for the charge in the shell?
Thanking everyone in advance for any and all info.

Sportclay, this powder bag was used to contain the explosive charge loaded inside the 4.7" Q.F. Steel Common Shell used in several Armstrong guns. It was filled with 2.041 Kg (4 Lb 8 oz) of P & Fg powders. Regards, Fede.

Thank you very much Fede!

Sportclay, I can also add that the quatities used of each explosive are: 3 Lb 12 oz (1.701 Kg) of Pebble-powder and 12 oz (0.341 Kg) of Fine-grain.

Here is a nice color plate showing different bags for Armstrong slow-firing guns:

Sportclay & Fede

I HAVE AN IDENTICAL BAG TO THE ONE YOU HAVE DEPICTED - I THINK THEY CALLED THE CLOTH THESE BAGS ARE CONSTRUCTED WITH “DUCK” WHICH IS, UNLESS I’M WRONG, LIGHT CANVAS. I HAVE SOME OF THE LARGER BAGS THAT Fede FURNISHED ILLUSTRATIONS OF AND THESE ARE MADE USING SILK. SILK BURNS FAR BETTER THAN CANVAS SO I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE SILK BAGS WERE USED FOR PROPELLANT CHARGES TO FIRE THE SHELL (PROJECTILE). REGARDLESS, THEY MAKE AN INTERESTING ITEM TO DISPLAY IN THE GUN/CARTRIDGE ROOM, ALTHOUGH ALL OF MINE HAVE FOUND THEIR WAY TO A FLAT STORAGE BOX. A CASE OF TOO MUCH STUFF AND NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO DISPLAY EVERYTHING.

A CASE OF TOO MUCH STUFF AND NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO DISPLAY EVERYTHING.

I am all too familiar with that problem. The info on the bag led to discovering all sorts of interesting info on Armstrong guns.
Thanks again.