Powder

Ok the next stupid question. As I am a microscope/lab junky I was curious whether anyone out there “collects” or samples the powder from cartridges and how they change over the years in terms of size shape etc. would you put it on a slide, in a vial or both?
Anything?
Alex

I keep small plastic vials of powder samples. Not all powders, but those related to my collecting interests.

For example:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16909&p=121248&hilit=u.s.+national+match+powders#p121248

Didn’t really collect it, but now its a side project. Holders are 1 inch round by half tall. Have 59 out of 60 filled and keep finding more. All years, models, and makes.

To conserve Powder samples, they should be (1) in an Air-tight sealed, Opaque container, of (2) Laboratory Glass, and (3) stored in a Cool, constant Temperature and low Humidity environment ( a Temperature controlled Cabinet or Vault. SO the old Brown Glass Laboratory/Pharmacy bottles from the 1940s with ground glass stoppers ( dipped in Vaseline) are the ideal.

The following will affect Nitrocellulose adversely: Humidity, Variable Temperatures, Light (both Natural and Artificial), Metal containers, Plastic Containers, (both of which will interact with any residual acids or solvents in the Powder, or even the “coatings” (flame retardants, stabilisers, etc.).

That “Open tray of cups” is an “explosion/flame off” waiting to happen.

Doc AV

Doc

Let’s not frighten a new collector away from one of the more interesting aspects of collecting. I have several small (and some large) powder samples stored in a variety of ways, some of which you’ve implied are damaging or dangerous. They have been that way for years and will probably outlast me. Leaving powder in it’s original container (loaded cartridge) has probably destroyed more samples than anything else.

JMHO

Ray

Wolfgang

I wish I could afford those fancy store-bought cups! I keep some of my samples in those little paper cups from Burger King, stored in old cigar boxes. Here’s one of many. The good part of my system is that when I run out of cups I can go to BK and get a new supply for free (and a Whopper for lunch).

Ray

WELL GENTLEMEN, IT WAS MY INTENTION NOT TO CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING TO THIS SUBJECT - HOWEVER, I JUST CAN’T STAY AWAY. THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF COLLECTING SAMPLES OF EARLY SMOKELESS POWDERS, OR OTHER MORE RECENT POWDERS, IS STORAGE OF THE SAMPLE. THE METHOD I USE IS TO PLACE THE SAMPLE IN A 1 DRAM CLEAR GLASS VIAL WITH A PLASTIC SCREW ON CAP. I STORE MY VIALS IN A BOX WITH A COVER OR LID TO SHUT OUT THE LIGHT. MY SOURCE FOR THESE VIALS IS, SPECIALTY BOTTLE COMPANY IN SEATTLE, WASHINGTON. THEY COST, THE LAST TIME I ORDERED, 43 CENTS EACH. THE 1 DRAM SIZE HOLDS THE ENTIRE POWDER CHARGE FROM MOST ALL OF THE .30 CALIBER CLASS OF MILITARY AND COMMERCIAL CARTRIDGES. I KEEP A FEW OF THE 2 DRAM SIZE JUST IN CASE I SHOULD EVER NEED SOMETHING LARGER. YOU CAN ORDER ONLINE OR JUST CALL THEM UP ON THE PHONE. IF THEY SHOULD EVER MESS UP AN ORDER THEY WILL FIX IT AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

TWO OTHER THINGS I FEEL I SHOULD MENTION. IF THE POWDER SAMPLE IS ONE OF THE TYPES THAT HAS DETERIORATED OVER THE YEARS DUMP IT. STORING IT IN A GLASS TUBE WILL NOT FIX THE PROBLEM. MAKE A LABEL AND AFFIX IT TO THE VIAL SO YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO GUESS AT WHAT IS IN THE SAMPLE VIAL LATER ON.

RAY - GOOD LUCK SHOULD YOU EVER DUMP YOUR LITTLE CUPS. A PAIR OF TWEEZERS AND A LIFE LONGER THAN ANY OF US ARE GOING TO HAVE WILL NOT FIX THE MESS.

I HAVE INTRODUCED MY METHOD TO SEVERAL OF MY FELLOW COLLECTORS AND NOT ONE HAS EVER HAD AN ADVERSE COMMENT.

According to this auction, one can purchase 100 5ml glass vials for pretty cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-10-100-Cute-Mini-Small-Cork-Stopper-Glass-Vial-Jars-Containers-Bottle-4-Sizes-/131637730650?var=&hash=item1ea6385d5a:m:m9zCC7gwyg1BQPR5a64XZCA

or taller 20ml vials are $4.55 per 10:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lots-10Pcs-20ml-22-80mm-Empty-Tiny-Small-Clear-Cork-Message-Glass-Bottles-Vials/381414971256?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33861%26meid%3D294f19273ab14fe7934bcc2af6adbacc%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131637730650

GWB

Storage in the little paper cups is temporary only, and mostly for modern powders. Although, I have been known to get sidetracked and leave it in those cups for a long time. Too long maybe.

And. I have never spilled any. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

Ray

I am one of the collectors of which GWB speaks and as far as I am concerned, there is no better way to store and display samples of powder…Photo below shows the glass vials…

Randy

While I don’t collect powder samples, but following up on the posts by GWB and Randy above, I do use the screw cap glass vials at work and they are probably the best way to go since the ones I use have lids that contain a septum (PTFE/silicon disc) that seals the vial opening airtight when the lid is screwed down snug. Available on line from Amazon (don’t know what type of internal lid seal these have), EBay, etc.

The vial volume is usually given in fluid drams, as an example a 2 dram vial equals (approximately) 1/2 teaspoon.

Brian

Very neat folks! I suppose all powder looks different close up. The glass vials would make good for displaying and research purposes.
(Maybe I will start collecting powder too… Oh geez! Thanks guys!) :-D

-Dave

I use glass topped aluminum watchmakers parts cans for powder, primer and bullet samples. Separately of course. You can buy them in several sizes, individually or in sets that come in an aluminum hinged box. Using an engraver engrave a number into the glass then insert an index sheet into the box also engrave the contents on the top of the box. They look very much like the first containers pictured on the forum.
Gourd