Pre 1945 --7.92x57 & 9mmP preserving, of interest


#1

I pulled the projectiles from 2 Steel cased, pre 1945 German 7.92x57 rounds
and when the projectile popped out using a kinetic [hammer] type puller
a cloud of rust dust belched out, when emptying the powder onto a sheet of plastic, it was 90% rust in colour, with the remaining 10% of the flakes retaining a shiny new appearance. Among the propellant was a lot of rust in the form of fine dust.
Washing vigorously with hot soapy water and a small bronze brush it took considerable effort and time to remove traces of rust from inside the case.
Soaking in warm vinegar to kill primer actually very slightly blackened steel case.
The projectile [slightly longer than others I have pulled] was corroded on the base.
I re-assembled the rounds after liberally applying WD40 and was disappointed to see the crimp had been destroyed, although the projectile fitted tightly into the case mouth.
To end I proceeded to drill a hole in the cases, just to stop any misinterpretation of the rounds at a later date.
Terry.
WILL DISCUSS 9MMP IN SEPERATE POST.


#2

Terry,

It is normal, German WW2 steel cases are corroding from the inside.
They were not made for collectors. ((-:)
But your way is the only, and best way to preserve these cases from being destroying themselves.

The only difference, I do not drill a hole into the case.
Normally I put a pellet in the case, I get out of a shotgun cartridge. 4 mm pellet is enough.
You hear the pellet inside when you shake the cartridge. You hear it’s empty.

Kind regards,
Dutch


#3

[quote=“Dutch”]Terry,

It is normal, German WW2 steel cases are corroding from the inside.
They were not made for collectors. ((-:)
But your way is the only, and best way to preserve these cases from being destroying themselves.

The only difference, I do not drill a hole into the case.
Normally I put a pellet in the case, I get out of a shotgun cartridge. 4 mm pellet is enough.
You hear the pellet inside when you shake the cartridge. You hear it’s empty.

Kind regards,
Dutch[/quote]

I inert common cartridges in order to assemble MG links and clips in my collection. For most calibres I pop a fired .22 RF case inside the case which jingles when the cartridge is shaken. For smaller cartridges I use a fired primer (left over from reloading shooting ammo) as a rattler.

gravelbelly