Pre dated ammunition

I have just received 1000 rounds of Wolf and Bear 7.62x39 ammunition. I have heard that new ammunition may be pre dated and there may be concern about it being used after some months of storage. Can anyone help me?

Not sure what you mean by “pre-dated.” Most decent quality ammunition, properly stored, will stay good for decades, not just months and years. I used to regularly shoot surplus ammunition that was 30 and 40 years old, with no problems. There are some exceptions, of course, so you need to know your ammo.

Starlifter–If the ammo is stored properally it should last years, not months. We are still shooting 30-06 and .45 ACP from WW-II.

BTW, does your user name have anything to do with C-141’s?

I believe this is an internet rumor, generally about primers, that has been making the rounds. Makes no sense at all.

This is just rumor. The anti-gun folks wanted ammunition manufacturers to make ammo with a “shelf life” as just another one of their schemes to slowly take away our 2nd ammendment rights. I think they were basicly told that it could not be done, so it passed by the wayside and they moved on to other stupid ideas like micro-stamping and such.

The rumor persists, especially now with the current round of panic-buying here in the US. “Buy it all now before all you can get is ammo that goes bad in a year” sells a lot of ammo at inflated prices…

AKMS

On another forum I saw a post about a designing a “diesel gun”. Which is powered by the explosion of oil under pressure rather than the burning of powder. Building one would really annoy the antis. As long as you have suitable oil, scrap lead, a bullet mould and a heat source, you are armed. Apparently it was done with .22 Air rifles in post WW2 Germany for hunting small game.

I wonder if the propelling charge could be sealed in the base of the bullet and some of the gas pressure tapped off to chamber another round and re-cock the action…

I suppose there is always the crossbow, in my opinion a much under rated weapon. Almost silent, powered by simple elastic potential energy, and certainly effective if used correctly.

“liquid propellant” has been experimented with in artillery calibers. Pump in a specified amount of propellant for the range needed and fire. Seems that the problem was how to effectively seal the breach if I recall correctly. I don’t know where the project is at these days. Maybe CSAEOD has some knowledge of this?

AKMS

But was that liquid propellant set off with a primer or by simply being compressed. I wonder if it is practical in a small arm.

Unfortunately it would be illegal to try and build a “diesel gun” in the UK as, under our ridiculously strict gun laws, “firearm” is defined as “lethal barreled weapon”.

We used to “diesel” air rifles by placing a drip (literally a drip) of model aeroplane diesel fuel into the compression cylinder before cocking it.

The resulting bang while unpredictable could be spectacular and even on rare occasions could re-cock the spring.

The bad news is the accuracy was appalling. Air rifle pellets being light in weight and having a poor ballistic coefficient couldn’t handle the velocity.

Now I am disapointed. I really thought I went through my adolescent years without missing anything. At leaset I tried real hard not to, but I never dreamed of souping up my pellet rifle!!

Oh well maybe in my second childhood!!

Doug

Winchester loaded shotgun shells and 22 tool blanks with liquid propellent on an experimental basis in the 1950s or 1960s. They worked, but concern was over evaporation and leakage. I have a loaded, fired and empty .22 tool blank in my collection. I have seen and handeled the shotgun shells in transparent plastic cases and you can see the liquid.