Primer cover

Hello,
Recently I received these covers… My question is to which cases they were used and what AWSp / AWS with number means. Diameter: 13cm

Thanks!

1 Like

The “AWS” is Artillerie Werkstatt Spandau (Germany).
Nice find!

Thank You EOD! I knew that I saw it somewhere. Im still wondering what is small “p” in “AWSp” and those numbers. Are they batch number like on mauser cases?

Is it pre 1900? What time period is it?

The “Sp” stands for “Spandau”

The upper is the manufacturer and the lower is the accpetance (numbers likely for the department or inspector).
Here the same place as Spandau was the inspection entity for army ammunition.
Will ask a friend who’s main subject this is, maybe he can chime in.

This is all pre WW1 (starting in the 1880s I assume) and latest 1920s.

Just got approval from the expert.
These were used with all 10cm guns like the K.97.

1 Like

Ah yes, you re right. Here is dot after AWSp “.” Thanks for help!

If you wil know something more about numbers let me know!

Wow!!! I never even heard about primer covers!!!

Vlad, the British used them much more.

Examples:
https://militaryantiquesmuseum.com/re066-wwi-british-artillery-18-pounder-shell-protectors-relics-from-ypres-salient.6040.archive.htm

1 Like

Haven’t had time to reply to this before.
I don’t do shells but picked this up a few years back as collateral and it went like hot cakes, wish I had had a few.

2 Likes

Obviously there was a perceived need to protect primers. But why did this need go away? Was that an improvement in primer compound/structure or a realization that the risk was overstated?

A lot of primers these days are electric. Although some of those need protected from radiation & those are often / usually protected by the link.
below a 20mm US Navy link showing the base of the link with the “paddle” to cover the primer & protect it from radiation.
20mm%20rad%20link

1 Like

Here a nice image from 1916 showing Canadian troops with artillery rounds (I assume 18pdr) and installed primer protectors.

Source internet.

1 Like