Primer Display

So I know it’s more related to cartridges, but how do you guy display your primer collections? This is just one of many boxes I have of them and have been wanting to some how display them. Keep in mind some of the boxed look as cool in the inside and the outside and I would want to display both somehow.

Good to see another cap & primer collector!

shallow drawers is the way I display them, took this photo in 07, have added a few since then. These are military types. I also collect percussion caps & display them in much the same way.

Some of these are empty but with the tray, some are just the sleeve, some are full / sealed & some have just one or two in them, and as you can see some makers, for various reasons made inert primers, just like ammunition! Also a few hard to find electric primer boxes.

I have a good number of duplicates (been chasing primer & caps for a long time)… but no list.

The Herter’s you will also find being made in Japan & from two different companies. Devil’s in the details… Fascinating stuff!

Do you display any of the trays? All of mine have trays and at least half a dozen primers since I am interested in the primer as much as the box if not more.

I display the primers or caps by putting one in a coin (usually 25¢ size but sometimes a .50¢ size) display. (white card with an inner clear liner & when folded over & stapled allows the coin to show both sides & available at hobby shops) Then when information is on the holder those I put in 3-ring notebooks with plastic pages designed to hold 2"x2" photo slides.

[quote=“PetedeCoux”]I display the primers or caps by putting one in a coin (usually 25¢ size but sometimes a .50¢ size) display. (white card with an inner clear liner & when folded over & stapled allows the coin to show both sides & available at hobby shops) Then when information is on the holder those I put in 3-ring notebooks with plastic pages designed to hold 2"x2" photo slides.

[/quote]

Brilliant! Thank You!

Not my original idea to display single primers like this, Probably came from Paul Molans

I have always missed more comprehensive information on primer development. Originally there seemed to have been two schools (in Europe), those based on mercury fulminate and those based on chlorates (Berthollet). It is known that Dreyse and Sellier & Bellot were on opposite sides in this matter.
As far as I can tell, the migration to modern non-mecury, non-chlorate was not exactly smooth. DWM Nicorro of the thirties has no chlorate, but still mercury, for example. The British “VH2” mixture seems to have simply been named after Austrian chemist [Edmund] von Herz.
The numbering of primers for U.S. small arms cartridges is totally unclear to the outsider (like me).

These are just a few bits of information on primer history which come to mind. I would like to encourage you to continue collecting primers, and if possible publish the insights you get.

Will do, it’s sort of an off shoot of my custom ammunition business. So is collecting 1st editions of loading manuals and out of print ones. I love reading them for inspiration.