Primer Packing Can for 1000 No. 4 or Mk V Primers, U.S. Ord. Dept., 1938, WRA Co. Technical Drawing Collection

From the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, McCracken Research Library digital collection, WRA Co. drawing collection here are 2 versions of the same drawing showing details of a storage can for No. 4 or Mk V primers. The drawings are from Picatinny Arsenal, origin date is 1938 & show latter revisions.
Included in the pdf below is a screen shot of each drawing in its entirety and then screen shots of enlarged sections of each drawing to provide better detail.

Primer Packing Can for 1000 No. 4 or Mk V Primers, U.S. Ord. Dept., 1938, WRA Co…pdf (4.3 MB)

What were these primers used in/for?

Thanks,

Brian

This has a black “OCT 21 1935” rubber stamp on the front side & is still sealed.

Pete,

Great photo!!!

Thanks for posting it here.

Brian

Found a drawing of the Mark V primer, from Picatinny Arsenal, dated 1929, from the WRA Co. drawing collection

Primer, Mark V, Picatinny Arsenal, 1929, WRA Co…pdf (1.9 MB)

Brian

NICE Brain, great stuff!

Here is an Ordnance Dept. drawing for the No. 4 primer, dated 1929 with updates to 1940, from the WRA Co. drawing collection.

Primer, No. 4 (New), Ord. Dept. ,Created 1929, WRACo.pdf (1.4 MB)

Brian

Nice Brian Thanks for all of these.

Nice stuff indeed! But am I the only one wondering if Pete’s box was for those wanting to reload their own hand grenades?

After a grenade is used what does one reload? :-)

Brian

Most likely for grenade manufacturers or depending on type and use also for reusable practice grenades.

I admit I know little about hand grenades other than how to use
them (from Army Training), I know that primers in bulk are known
to explode. Despite the low quantity of the box pictured, perhaps this
is how they were supplied to the manufacture of the fusing mechanisms
for the grenades?

I do recall also that in training, the blue practice grenades, which had an
open hole in the bottom (these are the “pineapple” type) and a couple of
little sacks of some kind of powder to make some smoke and flash, did
not fragment, and after a field training session, the bodies, with fired fusing,
and even the spoons, had to be policed up and turned in. Don’t know if they
were reloaded or not, or whether this was just to keep the training area neat. We
picked up many that the pin had never been pulled, but were just thrown
"as issued." :-(

John M.

John,

I’m fairly certain you are on the right track here. All the drawings posted above are from the Ordnance Department and were most likely sent to those companies who were or could manufacture the primers (under contract?) for grenade fuze manufacturers or grenade loading facilities, government run or private contractors.

Brian