Production of cartridges in the USSR in 1940-1945

It’s a chart from Boris Davydov article “Cartridge business in Russia” from Weapon’s World 2005, #11.

Excellent information! Thank you very much for posting it.

linnet - does this study (in the book or article, not the chart which thanks to your excellent addition of key English Words, is totally understandable to those of us who don’t read Russian) go past WWII? If so, is there any information about 9 x 18m/m Makarov ammunition production?

No information about 9 x 18m/m Makarov ammunition in this article.

Great info! Thanks linnet!

linnet,
and no information about obr.43?
Thank you,

Hans, I’m reading through S.B. Monetchikov’s “Историа Русского Автомата” (“History of Russian Assault Rifles”) right now, and the only information he’s given on the ammunition so far is that it was initially produced at Factory 543/Kazan; this was the initial long-necked (7.62x41mm) version of the round. If anything else comes up, I’ll make sure to add it.

[quote=“Hans”]linnet,
Thank you,[/quote]

Hans, in 1945 it was still experimental.

[quote=“Hans”]linnet,
Thank you,[/quote]
"… Cartridge obr. 1943 was produced by small amount at Plant #543 in Kazan’ and was tested at Small Arms Poligon since Nov. 1943. Poligon recommended to improve cartridge a little including ilimination of fold under cap." Pic. 13 - Fold under cap of obr. 1943

linnet, SDC & EOD,

thank you for the input, especially because this is the first time I hear about recommendations on improvements during the trial process, please uncover more!
Are there any production quantities for obr. 43 in those years in Davydov’s book or Istoria Russkogo Awtomata? And later?

Linnet, thanks for posting this list.
It does present some great info, but also creates some questions.
No Soviet Tokarevs have been found with 1941 headstamps, but there are a good number of 1942 variations known. It is very possible that all factories began headstamping their Tokarev production in 1942. With that said:
Are there any known with a Factory 17 headstamp?
Are there any known with a Factory 44 headstamp?
Are there any with a 60 43 headstamp?
Are there any Factory 270 headstamps pre-1945?
Are there any Factory 304 headstamps pre-1944?
Are there any Factory 710 headstamps pre-1944?
Are there any Factory 711 headstamps pre-1944?
According to the “rules”, all the above should exist on some 7.62x25 cartridges, but have not been reported. All or most could have been used up or lost during the war, but perhaps some examples survived. Any information would be appreciated.

[quote=“Hans”]linnet, SDC & EOD,

thank you for the input, especially because this is the first time I hear about recommendations on improvements during the trial process, please uncover more!
Are there any production quantities for obr. 43 in those years in Davydov’s book or Istoria Russkogo Awtomata? And later?[/quote]
I didn’t read Istoria Russkogo Awtomata.
No information about production quantities for obr. 43 in Davydov’s article. It was test production.
Basically Davydov’s article is about plants: when and where they were created and when closed.
There are some info about 7.62x38.5 mm production in 1941 - 38.8 M and 1942 - 58.4 M at # 38 in Tula and Yuryuzan’.

[quote=“Jon C.”]Linnet, thanks for posting this list.
It does present some great info, but also creates some questions.
No Soviet Tokarevs have been found with 1941 headstamps, but there are a good number of 1942 variations known. It is very possible that all factories began headstamping their Tokarev production in 1942. With that said:
Are there any known with a Factory 17 headstamp?
Are there any known with a Factory 44 headstamp?
Are there any with a 60 43 headstamp?
Are there any Factory 270 headstamps pre-1945?
Are there any Factory 304 headstamps pre-1944?
Are there any Factory 710 headstamps pre-1944?
Are there any Factory 711 headstamps pre-1944?
According to the “rules”, all the above should exist on some 7.62x25 cartridges, but have not been reported. All or most could have been used up or lost during the war, but perhaps some examples survived. Any information would be appreciated.[/quote]
I asked about Factory 270 headstamps pre-1945 at trizna.net - the best Russian forum for cartridges. The same IV 1945.
Probably we cannot find all headstamps from your list. I guess there are 3 reasons:

1. No headstamps for some plants after 1942 like before 1942.
  2. Some plants got cases from other plants with one’s headstamps. There are some examples at Dadydov’s article for 12.7 and 14.5 cases.
  3. It was difficult to survive for steel cases. I’m looking for old cartridges at flea market. It’s much easer to find 1900s brass 7.62x54R case than steel WWII ones. Worse metal. It’s espesially bad situation with WWII 7.62x25 and 7.62x38.5 cases.

All those are good possibilities. Can you say what production, from my list above, was steel-cased?

I have no idea. It was discussion about steel 7.62x25 at trizna. They menchioned steel 541-42, 43, 38-43.

I have or know of wartime Tokarev steel cases with these headstamps:
38 42 and 43,
60 42,
541 42 and 43,
T 43,
and No Headstamp.

[quote=“Jon C.”]I have or know of wartime Tokarev steel cases with these headstamps:
38 42 and 43,
60 42,
541 42 and 43,
T 43,
and No Headstamp.[/quote]
It was No Headstamp at forum too.
trizna.net/phpBB2/viewtopic. … c&start=20
You need registration for looking pics.

Thank you, I was able to see the picture.
I wish I could read Russian!