Projectile identification please

Hello, I am looking to see if anyone can help with this identification. I do not know the country of origin nor the weight of the round. I am told it is a 25 mm caliber and is made of steel and is 2.6 inches in length. I suspect an artillery round due to what I believe are rotating bands, but am unsure. Thanks!

Joe,

Welcome to the forum.

This may be one of several different types of 25 mm / 1 inch Nordenfelt projectiles dating to the late 1800’s

A similar 2 band 25 mm Nordenfelt projectile is shown here: digitaltmuseum.se/things/25- … =147&pos=2

Wish I had more info.

Brian

Another possibility is the WW1 Era Italian 25mm Fiat-Revelli.

This here should be the Italian version. Falcon, this is not the FIAT projectile!

Alex,

Thank you for the reminder, Italian indeed:

Brian

Thank you guys for the information

“Balistite Cartridge” with Casing (Internally) Papered and Projectile with Rings of Copper ( driving bands). Ie, Balistite was an early distinguisher from “Polvere Nera” (BP)

The Drawing actually shows what the British trademarked as “Cordite”, but the Nobel Factory at Avigliana (Turin Prov.) called “Balistite” for its chemical Compositition.
Later, finely sliced “Balistite” would be the trade name of a Fast-burning Shotgun Powder (In Britain) and “Balistite” in Italy as the first Load of the M91 and M91/95 Cartridge, until supplanted by Solenite, an Italian Patent, to avoid the Nobel Licence fees.

Italy used the 25,4mm Nordenfeldt Cartridge on Nordenfeldt guns on TBD Launches (“Torpedo Boat Destroyers” ( a “Torpedo Boat”: in the 1880s-90s, was a “Mine Layer” ( or “Torpedoes” as they were then called) The actual “Self-Propelled (Whitehead) Torpedo” was developed later; stationary “Torpedoes” became “Sea Mines” in nomenclature.

The Plain, unfired Projectiles are easy to find in Northern Italian Flea Markets (I have several, ALL “unfired”,) either they were recovered from dismantled ammo, or they were never Loaded into Cartridges in the first place.

Doc AV

DocAv,
as far as I know Solenite was adopted because Balistite was considered too hot for standard (ball ) loadings. Balistite was still used for some carcano loadings such as blanks or short range until end of production at the end of the 60es