Projectiles, Ammunition of different sort

While shooting nuisance blackbirds on a friends 230 acres of sweet corn fields (which also happens to be the surrender grounds of the British at the Battle of Saratoga.) When the birds aren’t flying I usually poke around with a metal detector. However, I forgot the metal detector so decided to walk the field edges along the Hudson River. I found a midden (aboriginal American). lots of flint tools, scrapers, blades, broken points. Every year in these fields more stuff surfaces. Artifacts from early archaic, 8000 BC to contact period 1600AD. As well as Revolutionary war relics. British, American and German buttons( Lt. Col. Friedrich Baum Hessian troops, was encamped on the other side of the river before his ill fated trip to the Battle of Bennington) , buckles, round ball musket projectiles, gun flints etc.

The ‘rocks’ in the pic above are what I found last week . There are a couple of broken projectile point as well as scrapers, blades and assorted other bifaces. all of Normanskill flint the most common found in this area. The broken points are of the Snook Kill typology. Unique to this area of the state and date from middle to late archaic 3500 BC.- 1500BC. These are all surface finds. This area has heavily excavated by the NYS archaeologists and is generally known as the Fish creek site. covers couple of miles of the West bank of the Hudson River.

The pic above is Aboriginal American ammo. The point top row 3rd from L is a snook kill point as well as the 1st & 2nd in the middle row L. All of this Indian ammo,celt, grind stone and scraper, except for the large spear point at the bottom (Grand father found it on his farm in Hope, ND). came from local sites and found by myself and my wife. These are not arrow points in this case. they are lance/spear or atlatl points and blades. The bow did not exist yet. (in North America) I have about 25 Ricker trays of points found over the last 65 years from all over the US and Canada(mostly local). As well as large stone tools and other artifacts. The following pic is about half and half arrow and atlatl projectiles. All found in the local Mohawk River, Hoosick (aka Hoosic, Hoosac) and Hudson river drainage’s (NY state). There are 3 paleo ( 10,000 BC - 8,000 BC) projectiles in the case, bottom row 5th and 6th from the left and in row above , the 4th from the right. The earliest is the tan colored short fluted clovis point. It was much longer but was re-worked several times before being discarded or lost. The rest of the projectiles are middle archaic to contact period.
If moderators feel this is not appropriate I will delete. Ammo of a different sort.

8 Likes

I had a cousin who lived on a farm near Ulysses Nebraska who used to find Indian arrow points while plowing his fields. Had half a cigar box full. I wouldn’t know where to began!

3 Likes

Wonderfull artifacts!
Really great to see these. If I had more brain and time available I would research this subject in depth!

2 Likes

I got my first ten or so gifted to me when I was a boy. My great grandfather passed them to me, he picked them up from old Indian sites as a child in mid-Michigan in the 1880s. I furthered the collection while working in the Southwest, hunting arrowheads and pottery shards in the desert while waiting at standby sites on missile fire missions in NM and West Texas.

5 Likes

Very nice collection. The 2nd row left. Is an uncommon point, Jack’s Reef corner notched There is a second Jack’s Reef type without the corner notched. These are often classified as Pentagonal points. Mostly found in the northeast The extreme western sites it might be found are into Indiana, Ohio… Named for the Jack’s Reef site in Onondaga county in NY. You have one of my bucket list points. Near the bottom 2nd from the left with the deep basal notches Is a very hard to find (even broken) Calf Creek type (this piece with a slightly straighter stem might be be typed by some as a Deadman If found in Texas or the SW. Middle archaic 3,500 BC. You have broken one that has a more flared stem.
Very nice love to see pieces from other parts of the country. Especially those found by the current owner. Thanks for posted the pic.

Last time I was in the USA, another collector showed me a collection of these arrowheads that he had recently started.

Apparently there are now fakes being made outside the USA and being sold as genuine.

I also saw items such as dream catchers with obvious “MADE IN CHINA” stickers for sale at a roadside Native American souvenir store.

How much of a problem are fakes?

For certain types of points usually made of certain types of material, i.e., obsidian, agates, and high quality flint. Can be a problem. Which is why I have rarely bought a point . Unless it had really strong provenance. From a known collector or collection. Half the fun of collecting these is the finding them. Folsom, Clovis, Dalton’s (all paleo types) and very large points are usually suspect. The materials listed above do not weather like chert or quartzite and other softer more porous stone. I have some obsidian points I found in Oregon and even under high magnification they look like they were made yesterday instead of 3,000 years ago. These materials do not absorb minerals from the surrounding soil and the surface looks new for centuries. I know people who are extremely talented flint knappers and they make pieces that if it weren’t for the fact they sign them with a diamond scribe they can’t be differentiated from originals.

Incredible, beautiful collection. Really nice!

Jason

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed the thread.

Thanks for the reply. I seem to remember India being mentioned as somewhere that was a possible source of modern fakes.

I also remember discussing what the technical ammunition name for them could be. Something along the lines of “fin stabilised kinetically launched subsonic mineral projectiles” seemed to fit.

Arrowheads made by the ancient people of the British Isles are also known, but are not commonly found here. They are nowhere near as often seen as the Native American ones.

5 Likes

Incredible collection! Thanks for sharing.
Although not ammunition, but still ballistics! This is how it all started.
“Unguided manual launched stone age projectiles”?

3 Likes

India is a major source of newly made point mostly from an Indian agate and very easy to recognize as the quality is so-so and the lithic material used is exotic and not stone found in north america. There is a cutlery company in Georgia importing the points and makes no claim to be old., but they are “indian” points…The potentially costly fakes are made here by unscrupulous flint knappers. Just as rare and pricey cartridges have been faked. A legit Clovis or Folsom 5"+ long in fine condition will bring thousands of $.
“fin stabilised kinetically launched subsonic mineral projectiles” I like that.

1 Like