Pulling Black Powder from old cartridges

Here in Italy we must collect inert cartridges only so we usually pull bullet to extract powder.

The problem is when I open old BP cartridges. The powder inside the case usually became hard as a rock so it is very difficult to extract it from the case.

Is there a way, maybe using gasoline to demolish the hardened BP without grasping it away with screwdrivers, pins or other tools?

Pivi:
HOT WATER WORKS WONDERS. JUST SOAK THE CARTRIDGE IN IT FOR ABOUT 20 OR 30 MINUTES AND THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE A TAPERED WOOD DOWEL TO REMOVE THE WET POWDER. BLACK POWDER IS MANUFACTURED USING WATER - USING WATER TO DESOLVE IT IS JUST REVERSING THE MANUFACTURING PROCESS. I TRY TO AVOID USING FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS WHEN WORKING WITH CARTRIDGES AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. TO AVOID DISCOLORING THE COPPER OR BRASS CASE, WRAP THE OUTSIDE OF THE CASE WITH A COUPLE OF LAYERS OF MASKING TAPE. YOU COULD DROP THE CARTRIDGE IN BOILING WATER BUT THIS IS NOT REALLY NECESSARY. BE SURE TO RINSE THE CARTRIDGE WITH LOTS OF HOT WATER AND DRY THE CARTRIDGE REAL GOOD INSIDE AND OUT AS ANY MOIST RESIDUE WILL CAUSE THE SALTS IN THE BLACK POWDER TO FORM A CRUSTY RING AT THE CASE MOUTH. YOU CAN ALSO USE THE TAPERED WOOD DOWEL TO SCRUB OUT THE CARTRIDGE CASE INTERIOR. THIS SHOULD WORK OUT VERY WELL FOR YOU.

GWB,
thanks, I have tried as you suggested and it worket out well