Question about 30-06 gallery loads

Last week my Dad gave me a box full of old military ammo, and amongst them were some 30-06 ‘gallery’ rounds.
These are the ones which are loaded with a 140gr RNL bullet and they bear the headstamp ‘R A’ over ‘H 18’. I know that the RA is Remington Arms and that the 18 is almost certainly the date. The ‘H’ however eludes me.

Anyway, one of the rounds was apparently a jam because the bullet nose was damaged and it was setback in the casing slightly. I chose to pull the bullet on that particular round strictly out of curiosity. This it where the really odd part comes in and wherein my question lies. When I pulled the bullet and dumped the powder, I discovered that the propellant was granular, yellowish in color, and had the very strong and distinctive odor of a freshly peeled orange. It was a reduced charge of course, weighing in at only 10.5grs, and it does not show any signs of deterioration or exposure to contaminants. It just looks and smells like it was made from freshly ground up orange peels.

So, I was wondering if anyone here, who is more familiar than I with the 30-06 cartridge, knows anything about this kind of powder? I have pulled the bullets on a decent amount of vintage ammunition before, but I’ve never found anything quite as odd as this inside any of them.

Powder sounds like Dupont Number 80 discontinued c1940. It was used for reduced loads.
Hackley & Woodin list charge for M1919 GP load as 10.5 gr #80.

If I recall correctly, the “H” refers to the Hoboken, New Jersey plant operated by Remington during WWI. I cannot explain the odor of your powder, but suspect that it has to do with decomposition, even though visually it does not appear to be breaking down.

AKMS

Yes, the “H” does stand for Hoboken. They started using this to distinguish production at this plant from the Swanton, Vermont plant (Old Robin Hood Ammunition Co.) that Remington operated at this time. They used a “S” for this plant.

[quote=“orange”]Powder sounds like Dupont Number 80 discontinued c1940. It was used for reduced loads.
Hackley & Woodin list charge for M1919 GP load as 10.5 gr #80.[/quote]

Thanks AKMS. Thanks Ron. I could certainly use a little more schooling as far as 30-06 headstamps go. Then again, I already have enough trouble keeping the ones I am familiar with straight in my head.

Thanks orange - I am sure you are right about the powder. Have you dealt with Dupont #80 from that period? Does it really have the odd scent and appearance that I described? …or did something go horribly wrong with the round I pulled?

-Allen

I cannot recall any scent to the #80 but the appearance is exactly as you describe. Pulled the bullet on a 1940s handload to see what #80 looked like.

That’s got to be it then. Thanks again orange!
I wish that I could somehow send odors over the internet. Because the powder that came out of that round is quite citrusy. I even had my girlfriend smell it and she got one of those ‘what the hell?’ looks on her face.