Question about 7.92 x 94mm Patronen 318

Hello everyone.

This is my first time posting, and I am from a non-English speaking country, so there may be some mistakes in writing.

I recently bought some inert 7.92 x 94mm Patronen 318 AP rounds.

A lot of information points out that there should be a tear gas capsule and a tracer at the end of the projectile.

But the projectile I received did not have tear gas capsules and tracer, only steel core inside.

The seller said this is a type in the Patronen 318 AP projectile series.

Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks.

The cartride/bullet must look like this.
P318

SmK-H%20Rs%20L'Spur

Rgds

Geschoss 318

• was not boattailed (while the bullets you show are)
  • had a tracer cup at the rear
  • had a tungsten carbide core, 22.7 mm long, 6.13 mm diameter, weight 8.65 g (these are nominal data; at the time tungsten carbide cores could not be made holding close tolerances)
  • the tear gas substance was in a 4 mm deep hole of 2.4 mm diameter in the rear surface of the core
  • bullet weight 14.53 g

P.S.: Dutch was faster than me. The drawing shows it all. “SmK H Rs L’spur” means:
SmK - Spitzgeschoss mit Kern (Armor Piercing)
H - hart (tungsten carbide)
Rs - Reizstoff (tear gas)
L’spur - Leuchtspur (tracer)

Could you please show us the head stamps?

I will upload a photo of headstamp after I get home.

I found a website written in Hungarian today.
There is a drawing inside the website.
Pabu_12-01

And the website also pointed out that patronen 318 has a version without tear gas capsules.

Original Hungarian:
“A szélsőséges időjárású harcterekre (pl. É-Afrika) fejlesztették ki a trópusi változatot fejlesztettek könnygáz kapszulával (fekete töltényorr) és anélkül. A lőszert különleges szigetelő lakkal vonták be, a tölténymag és hüvely csatlakozását külön szigetelték. A jelölése hasonló az acélfejes változatéval, de szélesebb vörös csíkkal.”

Convert to English with google translation:
“The tropical version of the battlefields of extreme weather (eg Africa) has been developed with and without tear gas capsules (black cartridges). The ammunition was coated with a special insulating lacquer, and the core and sleeve connection was insulated separately. The marking is similar to the steel head version, but with a wider red stripe.”

Hello Tony416900, welcome to this Forum.
I’m not that German ammunition crack but the objects you show seem very common (German) bullets from 7,92 x 57 cases. The Patrone 318 is rather scarce and desirable among collectors. Just hope you didn’t pay too much as a good one costs without problem a €100.

The picture from the Hungarian side looks to me like a SmE bullet put on a 318 case

The price I paid is $135 USD each.

Code on head stamps
headstamp%20code

This is a photo of all brass shells and projectiles

head stamps

I am sorry, but I don’t like what you are showing
As @JPeelen already explained, the bullets you are showing are all boat tailed with a iron core.
These are not the original 318 bullets.
By this amount of money it was good asking some questions in the forum before you decided to buy these rounds. It seems to me that these cases were in the ground for a longer time.

The only “boattailed bullet made for the 318 is an sS (heavy ball) bullet. This bullet has a lead core and was only used for practice shooting.
This practice cartridge has an additional triangle in the head stamp.

Rgds

Dutch, the triangle was not mandatory as this is the sign for cases which did not pass QA for combat ammo but were good enough for practice ammo. Means there can be practice loads with regular cases too.

I also agree that these cartridges are stuffed together from cheap cases (plenty available in Europe).

Sorry but I have never seen one without “triangle”.

No need to be sorry, the triangle is just a marker for QA-failed cases.
Seems they had enough and never had to take the “propper” ones.

Patr. 318 Ăśb label showing a case lot without triangle:

062a

There is also a Patr. 318 s.S. load not identified as “practice”.

The markings, based on an official document, are described below.
Accordig to a document in the German Military Archives (folder RH 12-2/174; diary number 2727/40 of Algemeines Heeresamt), the following cartridges were adopted on 16 Sep 1940:

1. Patrone 318 (black bullet tip, red primer annulus)
  2. Patrone 318 Ăśb, identified by a green primer annulus [as shown in the photo by Dutch above]
  3. AnschuĂźpatrone 318, identified by a green stripe, 5 mm wide and including the primer, on the base. [AnschuĂź = zeroing]
  4. BeschuĂźpatrone 318, identified by a green bullet tip and a green primer annulus [BeschuĂź = high pressure test]
  5. Platzpatrone 318, having the same wooden bullet as Platzpatrone 33 (blank)
  6. Exerzierpatrone 318, having a black (!) plastic body and a steel base (drill)
  7. Werkzeugpatrone 318; chromed, 2 holes each of 3 mm diameter at 14.5 and -at a 90 degree angle- 23 mm above the base (armourer’s tool)
    According to that document, numbers 2 through 4 were loaded with an ordinary sS bullet. Numbers 6 and 7 have a drilled hole in place of the primer. No illustrations accompanied this document.
    For use with the training barrel of PzB 38, the following cartridges existed:
  8. 13 mm Patrone, leichtes SpitzgeschoĂź, identfied by a green stripe across the base (aluminium core)
  9. 13 mm Patrone, leichtes SpitzgeschoĂź mit Leuchtspur, same as 8 plus black bullet tip (same with tracer).
    In addition, 13mm Platzpatrone (to be used only with Platzpatronengerät 13), Exerzierpatrone and Werkzeugpatrone are mentioned (no 13 mm Anschuß or Beschuß)

Great list. Thank you.

There also exists a red plastic EX. round.
This one comes from a Polte board in the Woodin Lab.

318ex

As far I see is only one missing in the list.
The GGG cartridge 318.

You can also add: Patrone 318 (Tp), Patrone 318 s.S., and Exerzierpatrone 318 having one piece fluted case.

Thanks Fede.
Do you have a picture from the 318 Ex. with a fluted case?

Best regards