Question on label

I just found a small box label copy (or possibly a copy of a slip that was inside a box) on my office floor, obviously fallen out of a filing folder. It says:

CONTRACT DA-23-196-ORD-47
WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO.
Division of Olin Industries, Inc.
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U. S. A.
DATE PACKED 2/54

Can anyone tell me what caliber the ammunition in that box was? I simply want to return it to the correct file, but I have forgotten which caliber it is.

Once answered (hopefully), the administrators can delete this thread, as it has no educational value other than for me and my bad memory. :-(

John Moss

DA…Dominion Arsenal? Is maybe some help?

duqjans - thank you for replying to my question. However, the DA in the contract number stands for Department of Army. This is an American cartridge label from Winchester Repeating Arms. It simply does not contain any “plain English” nomenclature of the cartridge’s caliber. I say it in those terms, because there may (or may not!) be something in the contract number that tells those that know what caliber it is.

I simply need to know this because this label copy I found under my desk fell out, at some point in time, of a file folder, likely from those parts of my files that contain folders by the case type of the ammunition covered by the file’s contents.

I appreciate the participation though. I can’t help thinking that we have people out there on this forum that can identify thinks like this from the maker and contract number.

John Moss