Question on lot numbers on post-WWII European cannon ctgs

Can anyone clarify the lot numbering system used on post-WWII European NATO small-caliber cannon ammunition? Here are a couple of examples:

From a 20x139mm cartridge: RH-380
From a 35x228mm cartridge: PSW-1-114-X

The first one seems pretty straightforward - Rheinmetall lot 380. The second one I assume is lot 114 from Press und Stanzwerke, but what do the number 1 and the letter X represent?

Is there any reference that lists date ranges for the various manufacturers’ lot numbers? At what point it time did they switch from the single-number to the multiple-number format?

I’ve also seen examples that use the current US-style lot numbering system, e.g. DAG97A001-001. Is this now the standard used on European (NATO) military ammunition, or is it used only for export/contract ammunition?

Thanks in advance!

The “X” is denoting a steel case.

The “new” lot number we discussed here before. It is standard in Germany and the US and probably other NATO countries. Export lots can not be uniform like that as every customer is specifying his own markings.
DAG97A001-001

DAG = manufacturer
97 = year
A = month (here January)
001-001 = lot

If that is the same as the U.S. lot numbering system, the first 001 is the Interfix Number and the second 001 is the Lot Sequence Number.

Up to and including 1965 the lot identifications looked like MS 1-65.
From 1966 onwards it was MS 66-1.

So far I could not find out how the resulting ambiguity was treated. MS 66-65 could be lot 66 from 1965 or lot 65 from 1966. At this time the lot numbers (for small arms ammo) ran well into 200 figures, so it actually could have happened.

Thanks for the info everyone.

JPeelen - I have a German 7.62mm NATO that seems to fall into that ambiguous area: MEN 72-63. The overlap certainly makes things more confusing!