Question to Italian Members regarding SMI

I am not sure, if this is the right place to ask this question. This question goes to the italian members of our association.
I´m searching for Informations about the technical archive of the former SMI (Societa Metallurgica Italiana). I am looking for details regarding the manufacturing of .303 ammunition made by SMI. (also 30.06, .50 Brown., .45 ACP). I´m searching for that, because I have a large set of gauges used in the production-process and I want to try to relate the gauges to the manufacturing-process.
I found some informations about an Archive of SMI. Do the Italian friends know about that
Archive? Where is this Archive and is it possibly open for Research?

I know, that there is also a Museum in the Campo-Tizzoro-area which deals with the
SMI-history. Do they have manufacturing-related Information and is there a possible
Point of Contact regarding this. I hope, that somebody from Italy could possibly help.
Thank´s in advance.

1 Like

Rainer, I have asked back to somebody who should know the details.
Let’s see what will come out of it.

Hi Rainer, while waiting for the informations provided by EOD, I’ve read the entire page from which you got the screenshot and the situation appears to be quite chaotic.
http://siusa.archivi.beniculturali.it/cgi-bin/pagina.pl?TipoPag=comparc&Chiave=148206
At the bottom of this page it is written that all of the documentation is kept by Kme Group Spa (https://www.kme.com/it/), the name assumed by SMI since 2006, but that page is updated at 2007, and in 2012 Kme Group merged with Intek Spa so that it is now called Intek Group SpA (https://www.itkgroup.it/it), probably the current owner of the documents.
Further more it is also reported that at the time the SMI general archive lacked of a really efficient classification system and most of the documentation was stored within “packages and boxes piled on shelves”. The reorganization began in 2002 and some documents still needs to be organized and digitalized, even considering that the general archive was split between the offices of several locations (Limestre Pistoiese, Campo Tizzoro, and Florence)!
However it is also written that the document you’ve underlined are of “considerable historical interest”, so I think someone somewhere could have what you’re looking for, but I cannot be of further help.

Regarding the museum, the “Museo e Rifugi SMI” of Campo Tizzoro appears to be a little and poorly known museum and it doesn’t even have a website! However I’ve found this pdf in which are reported address, contact info, and the main features of the museum, but it isn’t reported if they currently keep any document or not.
http://www.tuttostoria.net/\Documenti\MUSEO-SMI.pdf

Hope you’ll find what you’re looking for.
Bye

Thank´s a lot for your Information. I could imagine, that the content of the technical archive of former SMI will be also of interest for the Italian- and other cartridge-collectors.
A technical archive very often has technical drawings, test-reports, manufacturing instructions etc. in its content. This is, why I´m trying to get more Information about that.
What about the guys, operating the very instructive “Munizioni”-webside. Aren´t they interested in such
informations? My knowledge regarding the Italian language is quite marginal an restricted to “vino rosso” or “si” and “grazie”. This means, it is very difficult for me to contact these guys and asking the right questions. Maybe, they can help to find the mentioned archive or they have additional info.

Regarding the Museum, I tried to get in contact, but I am not sure, to use the correct E-Mail-adress.
Till today nobody replied. I will try it again with the E-Mail-adress you provided with the link.
Again, thanks a lot.

Regards

Rainer

Hi @Giovanni, you’ve been called into question by Rainer as you’re the owner of the website http://www.munizioni.eu/. Maybe you can add some information to this quest!
Do you have some of the requested documentation regarding the Società Metallurgica Italiana stored on your website? Otherwise did you ever hear of someone who keep those document?

Bye

Having been called into question I would like to reply
I can tell part of the story, but thanks to this occasion I would like to tell the more general story of ammunition collecting in Italy, I hope not to bore anyone … and I apologize in advance for my bad English
Over 15 years ago with a couple of collectors there other disciplines we decided to create a general forum on militaria, in a few years the same became a reference point for Italian collectors, some years later due to an inevitable split I decided to create the CESIM of which I was president until about 5 years ago, which we later succeeded in getting into ECRA.
For several reasons a few years later I left the general forum by creating a CESIM forum dedicated only to forum ammunition which, with the association, still exists today.
One of the “commitments” taken by the association was to search for and group together the information gradually recovered.
It should be borne in mind that, in Italy, also due to the war events and the consequent political climate, for most of the common people who collect and study weapons and ammunition is seen as a warmonger, out of time or worse as a dangerous subversive . Unfortunately, after 8 September 1943 most of the documents present at the Italian facilities were confiscated by the Germans, the Allies did the same in '45 as was normal.
. In addition to this, Italian companies have always been reluctant to give information regarding both the war period and the post-war period.
Added to this is that of the companies present until 1945, namely:
private companies S.M.I., Leon & Beaux, Martignoni, Fiocchi, B.P.D. and C.E.M.S.A.
and the state-owned Pirotecnico di Bologna and Pirotecnico di Capua
Today only the Fiocchi for civilians and the Pirotecnico di Capua for the army have remained active, while B.P.D has become SIMMEL and produces ammunition of more than 25 mm
Of the archives of the missing ones there is often no news
Small interests have always fragmented the field of study concerning ammunition and the lack of clarity of the laws has amplified the problem by ensuring that, in Italy, the collection of ammunition was relegated to a secondary role and the study was practically non-existent. As evidence of this it is enough to think of how little our “military” museums are considered that often do not possess a specific and organic collections concerning our specific field.
We then spread a pitiful veil on the only museum that existed but of which, unbelievable to say that the traces have been lost after its displacement in place that still today is vague, of the material naturally no trace
We come to us
Finally, after several attempts we were able to contact the person who had created the Museo della S.M.I (Italian Metallurgical Society).
Personally I participated in the first reconnaissance outings to understand what material was present at the museum and what documentation existed.
Apart from very few specimens unknown to us (association) the material was all known, while for the drawings available, the material was at the moment almost non-existent. However, it was decided to organize and publish everything, with the permission of the Museum management.
At this point, due to internal problems, I have personally decided to continue the ammunition studies in a “personal” way by resigning from the office of President and separating the CESIM website from my www.munizioni.it
Here ends what I know personally, I know that in recent years CESIM has had the opportunity to have access to historical documentation, but I do not know the extent of the findings or their content.
I therefore believe that the question should be addressed directly to the administration of the association.
I believe that help in this regard will come after the presentation of the new book on Italian ammunition that I am getting out of before long and to which an Italian researcher which is part of your subscribers, in a more than substantial way, a text which I know should include the period up to 1945
The Italian ammunition is still largely to be discovered and luckily for us there are often previously unknown specimens.

I believe I am not exaggerating when I say that they are among the most interesting and the scarcity of news did not make us understand the rarity and scientific interest of our production. You all know that it is difficult to assess the rarity of the material if you don’t even remotely know the productions made, everything then contributes in creating mysteries or or otherwise useless chatter …
I hope to have been helpful at least to understand the existing problems…
I apologize again for my English
Giovanni

3 Likes

Giovanni - don’t apologize for your English. It is not bad at all. I wish I could write Italian as well as you do English!

Ciao!

John Moss