Questions about 2 European all-plastic shotshells

In the first photo, the far left shell and the 3rd from the left are the ones in question.

The first one is marked R. PINTO on the head and has a cork top-wad and filler wad. The very clear plastic shell shows the nickle-plated shot very well too.
The 3rd is simply marked IRLEC 12 and has been identified as a modular, French made shell. For me the most interesting thing is the crimp. There does not appear to be any seam on top of the shell, but there is a line around the radius of the shell just below the rim of the mouth.

Here’s a poor scan of the headstamps and a drawing to clarify.

I would appreciate anything anyone can add about makers and construction of these shells. In particular, why they used cork on the Pinto and how the IRLEC case mouth was closed.

Thanks

Hi shotmeister,
Why cork??
In europe, a lot of shells had topwads from cork, so I do not think this one is to special just because of the cork.
Otherwise both the irlec and the pinto are nice all plastic shells. Good finds.

Regards rené

I can only say that the Pinto one is italian, Como is a city in northern Italy. I have two 12 gauge Pinto rounds.

An orange one, 67 mm long and a dark blue one 70 mm long.

Jeanpierre could add much more info

[quote=“Pivi”]I can only say that the Pinto one is italian, Como is a city in northern Italy. I have two 12 gauge Pinto rounds.

An orange one, 67 mm long and a dark blue one 70 mm long.

Jeanpierre could add much more info[/quote]

pinto shells are well known and they are Italian of course.
They exist in 12 gauge (65 and 70 mm) and 16 gauge (65 mm)
they were made and sold by Giuseppe Negrello in Este
They existed in 1964

About the Irlec I know nothing more than the fact i see from time to time such ctges sold on the websites (gun broker for example at 30$ !!!) and they are given as french ones on muninicion.org.
jp

I suspected that cork was commonly used at some point in Europe because it is found there but it was not, at least to my knowledge, commonly used here in the US. I had never seen a shell with it before but since this is a window clear plastic shell, it is very easy to see its exact contents.

I’ve found little on the Irlec shell, other than that which JP stated. I too have seen them on GB for $30 but I paid far, far less for this one. I think it is a most interesting all-plastic.

Thank you all for your inputs.

You will still find cork wads commonly listed by European reloading suppliers as a packing wad but its use as an over shot wad I don’t think I have ever seen personally . Usually a cheap space filler. But they do exist and some on here use the word “close” although the english at times can be a bit hard to interpret.

siarm.com/product_info.php?products_id=2048

look around that site under wads and you will find other cork wads in the traditional wads section under reloading