R-P .38 Spl. headstamp

While sorting a bunch of .38 Spl. brass for reloading, I ran across a few Remington cases with the headstamp “R - P 38 SPL” where the “dash” is at least 1/8" long. Much longer when compared to some of the newer cases with short dashes and “dots” between the R and P. However, one of these cases also has two small “dots” in the headstamp, one to the left of the R and one to the right of the P.

At first I thought they were impression marks left from firing, but they are identical in size and perfectly spaced in the headstamp layout. I have only found a few of these “long dash” cases so far and only this one has the extra dots. One would think that they would all have these “dots” either as part of the headstamp or from the firearm they were fired in. Anyone seen something like this?

AKMS

AKMS-- The “Long Dash” is probably a case from the 60’s. When they first started using the R-P headstamp, the dash was longer than it was in the late 70’s and 80’s.

The .R P. cases were made for Remington by, I beleive Winchester or perhaps IVI. I can’t remember which. Not sure if they just made tjhe cases or loaded the ammo too. I think they probabily loaded it for Remington.

AKMS - there are seemingly endless variations of the R-P headstamp including one that is “R P” with no dash, including plus P and non-Plus P headstamps, letter sizes, letter spacing, etc. “Profusion in confusion” as one photo caption on German 8mm Grenade blanks that I saw mentioned. I doubt we will ever sort out why all the changes were made, and what they all represent, if anything at all. I agree completely with Ron, though, that the dots represent another case maker. Some have said it was Industrias Technos (probably in that era called “Cartuchos Deportivos de Mexico”), but I seriously doubt that, as these dot headstamps appear on calibers they didn’t make, like .30 Luger. Again, I think Ron is on the right track. I suspect Winchester made the cases, but have no proof. I wish one of our Remington experts, especially if any have any “juice” with Remington, would sort these out for us in an article for the IAA Journal!

Thanks for the replies. I hesitated to say these were an intentional part of the headstamp since they are so tiny. But because they are so perfect and symmetrical, It makes sense that they are.

AKMS