Radway Green 2000 5,56x45 marked Q

A range pick-up today.

A Radway Green 5,56x45 case, marked RG 00 (nato) 5,56mm with a ‘Q’ at about 3 o’clock.

Does anyone know what the ‘Q’ signifies?

Happy collecting,

Peter

Interesting, as normally “Q” would represent proof under the old scheme of things but this is not a proof round.

I am not sure that there is any need for 5.56mm proof rounds at present, but when the L85 series were stil being made we were buying in FN copper washed proof rounds.

Regards
TonyE

Wouldn’t the NATO symbol make “5.56 mm” redundant?

Perhaps a contract over-run for Qatar?

With the NATO mark on cartridges for Quatar?

I wonder where it came from, I haven’t seen any RG surplus for a long time and 2000 is old even for surplus. Looks like somebody has been hanging on to it for a while.

No, because the NATO symbol simply means the round meets the STANAG for that calibre. The Nato symbol appears on 7.62mm, .50BMG etc.

Regards
TonyE

The ‘NATO symbol’ even appears on ammunition made in Israel, not a NATO-member. The symbol only indicates that the ammunition is made to NATO specifications.

[i]No, because the NATO symbol simply means the round meets the STANAG for that calibre. The Nato symbol appears on 7.62mm, .50BMG etc.

Regards
TonyE[/i]

This is exactly what I meant: the NATO symbol makes clear that it is a NATO calibre. The ammunition I saw being used by Bundeswehr either had the NATO symbol or the calibre 7.62x51, 9x19 etc. but never both on the same case.

[quote=“Thijs”]The ‘NATO symbol’ even appears on ammunition made in Israel, not a NATO-member. The symbol only indicates that the ammunition is made to NATO specifications.

[/quote]

Israel made plenty of ammunition for NATO members so they had to apply all markings the suctomer required. Basically any contry can put on the NATO mark but normally only for a NATO member then. Few exceptions are known.

I think I have found the source of this ammo, Ian at ITL Shooting Supplies is listing it. Skip down the ammo page, his website is a bit jumbled

itlshootingsupplies.co.uk/page10.htm

Might be worth a call to find out if you are still interested. He’s a very helpful man. He usually occupies a tent at Bisley during the summer events so I will be running into him once the season gets started. I will be down there on Wednesday but I doubt he will.

Too bad he doesn’t show a box.