Range projectile find question

My son and I went to my club’s range and found this scattered within 15-30 feet from the bench. Not being a competitor (besides trying to be the 1st to enter SLICS hall next Thursday), why would one shoot at the ground so close? There are stones in the ground and a possibility of a bullet coming back. Isn’t it dangerous? The flat pieces in front of the pile are probably the back of a projectile. How did they get so flat while others are totally untouched?

Vlad,

The flat ones obviously hit a hard solid object (steel gong or such). The less deformed ones may have been fired into soft targets in front of deep snow/snow banks? (There’s been some of that stuff around these parts lately…) When the snow gets deep, targets at the range I use get set closer than usual and springtime can yield some very well preserved projectiles!

Dave

Some of those projectiles are remarkably well preserved. The HP ones have not opened up at all and the FMJs dont show the tell tale scratching from small stones in the earth.
I don’t know about the effects of deep snow because we don’t get enough to talk about but I would say that someone has gathered up a load and then sorted through them and picked out all the hard cast ones then dumped the rest. The lead ones that are there all appear to swaged and therefore soft.

Someone scavanging for hard bullet alloy to recast would be my guess.

Vince, I just picked up anything on the ground with no selection.

Someone appears to have ‘deep pockets’ haha…not many folks shoot their duty/carry ammo (Remington Golder Saber JHPs in the pile… noticeably “yellowish” brass jackets, and some Speer Gold Dot and Federal Hydra-Shok as well). Good for them though…if it doesn’t run in your gun, the “magic bullet” may as well be made from Skittles.

As for the distance to target…I see new bulletholes in the sides and tops of the booths at some commercial ranges just about every time I go.

I find all sorts of weird crud at our range (shared with several other agencies/organizations). This sort of scavenging is actually what got me into terminal ballistics a long while back. I was training on steel targets and the only .44sp ammo I could find was the 200gr Speer Gold Dot. Most other ammo was fragging, but there was always a tiny pile of perfectly “frisbeed” bonded .44s lying on the ground close the to target.