Rare 1942 BULGED SHOULDER 30-06 Mistake Cartridge

Any ideas how this happens?
I am inclined to think somebody made this on purpose, as opposed to a manufacturing error.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=533035042

Curt

I’ve seen this before, back when I was collecting .30-06. It was explained to me that sometimes the loading line of machines was stopped for some reason (re-tooling?) and during this pause in operations, machine lubricating oil dripped into and collected in the cartridge case. When the line was re-started and a bullet inserted, the hydraulic pressure caused by the bullet being forced down into the case full of propellant and oil caused the case to swell out at its weakest point. Note the primer crimp around the empty primer pocket. Somebody saved this error as a souvenir and removed the primer for safety, allowing the oil and some if not all of the diluted propellant to leave via the flash hole. Sometimes the swell has a split. Anyway, that is the explanation I got, and it seems that the examples are always WW II military rounds which were made by the millions, and in a hurry.

Interesting. Since a typical bullet seating die would hold and surround the case in order to ensure alignment of the bullet seating punch, how would the case be extracted from the die after the shoulder bulged out like that?

Just asking

Ray

It also looks like there is a wood dowel inside if you look at the flash hole . . . or is it my failing eyes?

Michael

This deformation occurs when you fail to hydraulically decap an unsupported case with a primer heavily crimped in place.

I’m not sure, but I seem to remember that George Nonte used this method to create some joke wildcats. I’ll check some old magazines.

Fede

Somewhere in my junk, I have a photo of Nonte, decapping cases (Berdan primed?) using hydraulics. He used a RCBS sizing die with a specially made plunger, whacking the plunger with a hammer. It worked, after a fashion. I know that I tried it and managed to get water all over everything on my work bench because the plunger that I made was not close fitting.

The same technique can be used to form improved cases, or wildcats, and I suppose it would also work in making dingbats.

Ray

I have communicated with the seller over the years. He is quite the expert on 30 WCF’s, 44 WCF’s and 22 WCF’s. Though I had never met the man, we talked online about 30 WCF’s, a particular interest of mine. Mentioning the fact that I had never encountered 3 varieties of this caliber and am still on the hunt for them. A week later a UPS package arrived from him with the cartridges I needed plus several more he thought I might need. Totally unsolicited or expected. While thanking him profusely online, he mentioned that he had seem me bidding on a particularly rare box of 30-30’s on an auction site. He said he also wanted that particular box but ceased bidding when he saw I was bidding on the box. What can you say about such a man, other than I hope to someday meet him in person and thank him. As for this particular cartridge I assume as many it being a manufacturing opps.

yes, John is every bit the gentleman.

IT’S JOE NOT JOHN. I WILL MENTION THAT I’VE SEEN A NUMBER OF THESE OVER THE YEARS AND THEY ALL HAVE A DEN HEADSTAMP. HAS ANYONE ELSE OBSERVED ANY OTHER HEADSTAMP? REMINGTON OPERATED AN ORDNANCE PLANT IN DENVER FROM SEPTEMBER1941 TO LATE 1944 IN DENVER (RURAL JEFFERSON COUNTY THEN). PERHAPS AN EMPLOYEE AT THE PLANT FIGURED OUT HOW TO MAKE HIMSELF AND HIS FRIENDS A CALIBER .30 CENTERFIRE BURNSIDE. IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE THIS DIDN’T HAPPEN AT THE PLANT. EMPLOYEES TOOK HOME MANY COMPLETE AND PARTIAL DRAW SETS TO SHOW THEIR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. PERHAPS ONE OF THESE EMPLOYEES MANUFACTURED THESE DINGBATS IN HIS GARAGE OR BASEMENT. I’VE NEVER BELIEVED THAT THE CARTRIDGES WERE AN ARSENAL MANUFACTUTED MISTAKE.

Hi GWB
we must be talking about two different serious .30-30 collectors.

This method must be what Otto Witt used to make his “Polish” .38/.45’s.

(No insult intended as I’m part Polish)

PETE:

AS FAR AS I KNOW I HAVE NO POLISH BLOODLINE. EVEN IF I DID I’D NOT BE OFFENDED.