RCBS .45 base

Is this a reload? One can see a raised profile of the cartridge body where the projectile’s bottom is.

Yes, that case was specifically made for reloading. 45 basic brass. It was used to form a number of cartridges that used that rim and base dimension.

Technically, if the case is new it’s a handload, as opposed to a reload. I’ve used a lot of the basic cases over the years, including the RCBS 45 basic, for wildcats. It appears that case came from Huntington’s, which was the original RCBS.

Ray

Thank you, gents. Let me re-phrase my question. Is it a good handload if the wall of the cartridge covering bullet’s base is pushed out so much that one can easily detected either by eye or by touch?

Vlad

That happens quite often if the handloader does not take the time to properly expand the case mouth for the bullet he is loading. Basic cases generally need some sort of prep because they are usually manufactured to one-size-fits-all dimensions. That’s why they’re called “basic”. Your example is not dangerous or anything like that. Simply not something to be proud of. My wife knows absolutely nothing about bullets and I would hestitate to show her one of mine that looked like that.

Ray

If it chambers completely, it’s OK. Lots of my reloads show the outline of the bullet to some extent. Happens if the resizing die diameter is a bit small for the bullet used. As previously noted, I don’t think there is any rifle chambered for the “45 BASE” as it simply just an elongated case intended to be cut down in length or reformed into an obsolete cartridge having the same base diameter, such as the .45-90.

In the early 1970’s the firm Riedl Rifle Co. offered their single-shot rifle chambered for the .45 RCBS basic case in its supplied lenght of about 3.158" (made by Norma on those times). Tests made by the company describes a 500 grain Hornady bullet at 2600 fps.

I really doubt that your cartridge was loaded for a Riedl rifle but just wanted to comment that such thing once existed.