Red Army Standard ammunition

Red Army Standard ammunition from Romania available in 7.62 x 54mmR, 7.62 x 39mm and 5.45 x 39mm FMJ ball.

Is this a new market item or has it been around awhile?

Brian

That’s just a new brand name for commercial sale, from Romania. The marketing is sort of silly with backwards letters to mimic cyrillic, and having a hammer & sickle. I suppose it will inspire notions of original military quality to some buyers. If they called it “Red Zombie” they would probably sell more.

Marketing, spin, bling anything that might get a foothold in the U.S. market. The label looks similar to a beer label or the Arm & Hammer baking soda emblem.

Century International Arms Inc. is noted on a web site devoted to Red Army Standard ammunition.

Yet another new box for box collectors!

Brian

Are any hs known by now?

Alex, 7.62x39 rounds are headstamped 7.62x39 SADU 13 (centered at 12, 7 & 4 o’clock).

Thanks a lot Fede!

I like the way it’s packaged. If Walmart sells it you can still get a decent amount even with their 3 box limit.

There is also new Red Army Standard 7.62x39 ammunition made in Ukraine by Lugansk. Headstamp is: RED ARMY LU 7.62x39.

Fede, do images exist?

Alex, this one is the best I have found. As you can see, it is of the same style as the Ukrainian HotShot.

43535_zps55c11f98

Correct! Thank you for the update on this hs!

New products added:

Red Army Standard 5.45x39, 7.62x39 FMJ & HP, and 9x18, steel case, made in Ukraine:
centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=126

Red Army Elite 7.62x39, brass case, made in B-H:
centuryarms.biz/products.asp?cat=127

Red Army Standard Elite (brass case instead of steel case) 7.62 x 39mm, Igman production 2013

RAS%2C%202
RAS%2C%203

Brian

Brian, thank you for sharing. Finally we have good images!

I was going through some of the stuff I have for the meetings and noticed that some of my boxes of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 were marked “Made in Russia” instead of “Made in Ukraine”. The Russian rounds are marked “UL” (see below) rather than the “LU” of the Ukrainian made rounds.

Note that the factory code on these rounds is different from the code orientation on the Ukrainian rounds.

I think I have taken 7 or 8 of each of these to Europe during this past year without noticing they were Russian. If you got Red Army in these two calibers from me, check them and make sure what you have.

Always something new. One of my best sources of new items for my collection seems to be looking through my “dupes”.

Cheers,
Lew

1 Like

Lugansk, Ukraine has the LU orientation in 2 different ways…one the same as your Ulyanovsk and the other different.

and

Curtis
www.cartridge-corner.com

Curtis,

Thanks for the insight!

When I checked my rounds, I found that my 7.62x39mm rounds came with both orientations of “LU”. I checked a number of my boxes in the other calibers and did not find this to exist in other calibers. The LU was also used on 9x19mm “HOTSHOT” ammo and all my boxes have the same orientation as that on the 7.62x39mm with the “RED ARMY” headstamp illustrated at th far right below.

Do you think they do this just to drive us all crazy (actually crazier)?

Cheers,
Lew

PS: Maybe some of you who have bought the Red Army ammo have different orientation of the “LU” code on your ammo. It seems strange it would only show up in one caliber.

2 Likes

While looking up something in this thread I replaced some of my ruined photobucket images.
Below is Fede’s image from Sept 13 (ruined thanks to photobucket):
RAS%2C%204

Brian