Red Winchester box - 9mm

Went to the Spokane Gunshow to pick up my CMP 1911 and of course walked around. Saw a few boxes that interested, but left with this one.

The seller used a sticker on it! I hate that.
Luckily the sticker came off with heat, still has some stickiness.
It is about 1/3 full of original rounds and the rest are Peters if I remember right, and not a full box, but I liked the box :)

2 Likes

date codes - but which one, one is on bottom of box, the other on end flap?

Box was about 75% Rem UMC and then these WRA, when did they do the ogive instead of round bullet?

IMG_6081 IMG_6082 IMG_6083

What you call ogive is a truncated cone, which is the older shape of the two.
9 mm Parabellum was created in a time when it became obvious that the smaller caliber 7.63 Mauser and 7.65 Parabellum were very good at penetration, but lacked wounding power.
So 7.65 Parabellum in 1902 was opened up to the maximum the case shape allowed, which would have been called 8.8 mm Parabellum, if it had been named by the usual rules (caliber, aka field diameter). But to make it look larger, it was called 9 mm Parabellum. In the same vein, in an attempt to improve its wounding power, a truncated cone bullet was adopted by the German military (Navy 1904, Army 1908).
In the Dum Dum atmosphere of WW1, this led to accusations regarding the bullet shape and the German military around 1915 decided to replace the truncated cone by a round nose bullet. As a matter of fact, this round nosed head shape, described by two circular meridians, is an “ogive”.
Most early 20th century cartridges like 9 mm Steyr, 9 mm Mauser, 9 mm Largo, 9 mm Glisenti followed the path of naming a 8.8 mm caliber cartridge “9 mm”. The only real 9 mm that I know of is the Soviet 9 mm pistol cartridge,which we in the West call 9 mm Makarov (bullet diameter 9.2 mm, caliber 9 mm).

P.S. Germany was not alone in making bullets appear larger than they were. Just look at the real bullet diameter of a .38 ACP, .38 Special or similar cartridge.

The code indicates the box was loaded on 16 April 1959. I don’t believe any of the cartridges are original to the box. The correct headstamp is “WRA 9M/M LUGER”. Your WRACO is almost certainly pre-WWII Winchester commercial. All Winchester commercial 9mm before WWII used truncated bullets as far as I can tell. The “W.R.A. 9M-M” is wartime military manufacture, perhaps for the US but perhaps for the British.The cartridges originally in your box would have had 115gr round nose bullets. Since this is a Western code format, it is likely that this ammunition was actually loaded in East Alton IL. It seems likely that the last New Haven production of 9x19mm was in 1958. The WRA headstamp was used for East Alton production until the introduction of the W-W headstamp on 9x19mm, probably in the second half of 1966.

The impressed number on the bottom of the box identifies the box style.

Lew